Cables more hype than value?

What are the opinions out there?
tobb
Bo1972 can you remind me what your speakers are?
I believe certain cables match with certain speakers.
My experience tells me high efficiency speakers are not as picky about cables vs current hogs.
I do have all-silver speaker cables in my collection, they work well with my Focals. Not so with the Eidolons.
El Cheapo Canare 411s for some wicked reason works best with my Quad 989s which have since been sold. Beats Cardas Golden Cross and Tara Reference and Master Gen2.
I wouldn't dismiss the benefits of speaker cables with those mystery boxes which I believe is just a choke in series plus a small shunting cap which kills off HF noise and makes the sound more tame. All depends on the setup and the listener's taste.
I use Monitor Audio PL-200. Which use also full silver internal. Monitor Audio Always want to use better materials in there speakers than other brands use. Why you think Avalon closses there speakers? I met a person who owned the Diamonds. He opened the speakers ( which was not easy to do) and he was amazed about the simple filters and cheap internal wire they use. Simple copper. The Pl-200 also uses the best WBT terminals. ( platinum version) Copper often works better wenn there is copperwire internal. But.......the difference between silver and copper is stunning. Wenn copper works better you probably have copper internal. Believe me you loose speed, resolution and focus. Realism in sound is often better with silver. Because Avalon uses simple copper inside ( more cheap for them) you cannot use silver. So thanks to Avalon you get a lower end result. At the show in April were I was with my set, other sets had less resolution. I was amazed about how less information there was. This were very expensive sets like the Magico S1 with Zanden and Kubala Sosna Elation cabels. For example Bruce Springsteen ; Brothers under the Bridge. The ss and ttt and th of his words were almost not there. My image was even superior in depth, speed and in 3d touchable image of instruments and voices.
I see Focal utopia uses silver wiring internally (or was it just tinted?) but uses Solen PPE and even bipolar lytics for the midrange. Quad uses lytics for the input filter and non-audio grade wiring. I had B&W silver sig 30s before, silver everywhere but didnt sound good to me, very "phasey" or lack thereof shall I say.
I definitely can imagine how your 90dB efficient Monitor Audio matches silver cables.
It is the speed what makes the Pl-200 special. In speed, focus, depth and in sound it is a lot better than the PL-300. I owned this before the Pl-200. I was never convinced about this speaker. It uses a different filter what makes it a lot different than the Pl-200. The Pl-200 can make a veru wide and deep stage just like Avalon does. But within this stage the focus of instruments and voices is a lot more touchable. It is a 3d image many people never heard in audio before. I also use the 2013 Redwood loudspeakercable, Purist Audio Limited 2013 powercable, Acapella xlr pure silver interconnect and a KE Powersource+ netfilter ( which is superior to the best filters PS Audio makes, I compared them) I played over 8 years with Nautilus 802 and 800 S. B&W weakness are there crossover filters. They are very poor in depth. Wenn you have a wide and deep stage music is superior in realism and it is a lot more addictive to listen. This weekend I bought many new cd's and music bluray's. At the end it is about music!!
Indeed, it's all about music. With the euphonic Audionote stuff I notice that cables and tweaks arent that important. Just less stuff to worry about but dont we all suffer from tweakers itch?