Can I plug my iPod directly into an amp?

Is it possible to play an iPod directly through an amplifier? I know you can play CD players with volume control straight through an amp with no preamp... Can I do the same with my iPod?
ewha
My iPod (30Gb) is connected via the docking station using a 'M' product as the IC in the AUX jack of my preamp. Sounds good but not as clean as a CD. Most of my music is burned using the standard apple format. I had contemplated redoing all using ths LossLess format but I have too many songs (4000+) to just sit doWn and redo.
I would try a pair of EVS Ultimate Attenuators before doing such a scheme, it would seriously save some repair money from overloading the amp and it can happen, if one is not careful.
I doubt that the IPOD would sound like crap through the headphone output. Do you have a cable and also the Ipod to try or are you thinking about getting one?
w/ regard to dock out vs phone out...yes gain difference. as such when using the dock out u need to crank things up via your volume control of your main system,,,but it does sound a tiny bit better...I wish there was a digital out so that I could use my own DAC....