upgrade advice for budget-minded beginner

I was looking for some advice on possible upgrade paths. I'm new to this A'gon community and want to get the most out of my "investments" since I'm a college student with limited funds. Currently, I have B&W 602s with an old Denon DCD1000, Yamaha M-60, and a Kenwood pre that needs to go. My noise floor is just awful, the highs are very forward and bright, and alot of music sounds lifeless and overtly digital.
I was considering the Onix reference 1/SP3/XCD88 combo for $1500, but wasn't sure if the Ref1's would be a huge step up from my 602s thus justifying the purchase. Also, I've never heard a tube amp, and although the characteristic naturalness and soundstage abilities seem to be what I'm looking for the supposed lack of woofer control and low wattage make me a bit nervous.
Another option I was toying with was keeping the Yamaha M-60 and adding an Eastern Electric Minimax preamp and possibly CDP to my setup hoping to take the edge off the highs, open up my soundstage, and eliminate background noise.
Basically, I was wondering what people that have more experience with this hobby think would yield the most "bang for the buck" in my situation. I want a deep and broad soundstage, natural sounding mids, musical highs, and authoritative bass but don't want to spend an arm and a leg to get it (like everyone else, I'm sure!). I'd appreciate any input, and am sorry about the length of the post.
ethanh
Sounds like you have a well thought out upgrade path and have done some research. Congratulations on using some of those research skills that got you to college! If you think you might like to try tubes you may want to consider one of the Jolida integrated amps (the JD-202 is a great place to start). THey hold their value fairly well if you want to upgrade in the future and simplify/consolidate the system. Plus with all of the different EL34 tubes available and mods you can stay very bussy tweaking within a tight budget. As for CD players you can get lots of good stuff in the $300-500 range. Find a dealer that will let you take the stuff home before you buy it. The only way you'll know is by listening in your room with your speakers.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Ethan:

I would focus on replacing your power/pre amps with an integrated amp. There are two that I would recommend with no hesitation:

1. NAD C320BEE (solid state; $400 list)
2. Prima Luna Prologue 1 or Prologue 2 (from $1095 to $1345).

I own both amps and have written reviews about each amp and posted them here on Audiogon (review #'s 1038674345 and 1109673309). Both amps are exceptional performers in their price range and would do fine by your B&W's, which are good speakers.

Depending on your budget, if you decide to upgrade your CD player, the Music Hall CD 25 ($540 list) pairs beautifully with both amps as well. If you would like to go with a CD/DVD player; I have been very impressed with the SONY RDR-GX300, a cd player/dvd recorder that can be had for $350 new. The SONY is not at the Music Hall level, but it is not so far behind either.

Regards, Rich
I would second the NAD for a budget integrated. Plus teh 320BEE gives you main-in/pre-out for future amplifier/preamplifier upgrades. Not really the same sound as a tube integrated but a great value no question.
I second the Music Hall CD25. It's an excellent CD player for the money.

I also agree with going for an integrated amp. I would recommend one of the Jolida's, especially the Jolida 302b (tube integrated, my favorite of Jolida's line). You would have a killer system with the Jolida and a Music Hall cd player. This integrated will also tame some of the brightness you've been experiencing, while also taking care of the lifelessness.

Good luck!

Michael
The Eastern Electric M520 integrated just made the cover of Hi-Fi World UK.
http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/currentish.html

A glowing review.