Reliability of Cary Audio Products

I'm considering adding a second (all tube) system for my home office. Amongst the integrated amps that are being considered is the Cary SLI 80. A friend, who is also a long term retailer of audio products, suggested that Cary has a poor reliability record. He hasn't sold Cary for a long while, and from what I've read on Audiogon, he may be out of touch with Cary products. Comments from Cary owners would be appreciated.

John
johnrob

I have had great experiences with my Cary products. My first Cary products were a used pair of SLM-100's bought from a Cary dealer. When I auditioned the amps, one was blowing fuses. The dealer selling the amps sent both amps back to Cary for service and inspection. After that, I used them for 3 or 4 years with no problems, only replacing the KT-88 tubes once.

I upgraded from the SLM-100's to a used pair of 805C's sold on Audiogon. I have had the 805C's for about 5 years now with no problems whatsoever. I have replaced all the tubes, but only to improve sound, not because they were worn. The people at Cary are always very helpful with their customers whether the products were bought new or used. I have called them seeking advice on everything from the best tubes to associated equipment matching.

With all the good things that I have read about the SLI-80, it's hard to see how you could go wrong.

Jeff
I have an SLI50 purchased new in 1996 and have had to replace the power switch (it failed stuck on, wouldn't turn off)and the selector switch that became noisy. I purchased the parts from Cary and performed the repair myself. The switches are on the cheapo side, other than that it has been a very reliable and excellent sounding integrated as well.
I purchased the 303/200 CD player, less than a year old here on Audiogon. Unit had a motherboard problem and was returned to Cary for service (still under warrenty).
Been looking at the ad's here for another Cary CD player and noticed approx 10% mention a trip to Cary for service.
My conclusion is they have some minor troubles in the CD player line, not enough to scare me off tho.
I purchased a Rocket via audiogon a year ago - dead tubes, bad fuses, no mA plug. Took a month to sort it out - weird hazy sound, tube swapping inconclusive - finally took it to a local shop and tested all the tubes. This was after a dead reading on the mA scale on a meter (after I bought a plug from Cary). Bad inputs (EL34) and inverters (6922), one output also shot (KT88). Fuses shot, but still looked ok when held up to the light. Changed the two out, plus bought tubes. Much better. And no problems since. Cary was also very helpful through the mess, even though their site says they don't help people who buy used. Easy to work on, and an interesting experience that made me feel more competent, not less like when you go to an audio store with dead equipment. For me it was like the first time you fix your car yourself. It wasn't actually difficult - the amp itself is pretty bomb proof. I suspect that these sorts of stories though are what has given tubes a bad name and one they have had to get out from under with audio mag reviewers. Now if someone would just do the same about the percieved wattage issue...
My friend who is a audio technician works on cary stuff I would never buy one. One of the intrgrated amps (I don't rember what one) he was working was self destructing due to the fact the wire gauge was way to small & some other design trouble.He told the guy the unit was not worth fixing & if he wanted it fixed to send it back to Cary. If you open one & look at it, it looks like a big mess of wire, not a neat job at all lots of IC's too. This may not be true to all of there stuff Im shur there is many happy Cary owners out there.