Ayre K-5xe preamp? How close to K-1xe?

Has anyone compaired the Ayre K-5xe to the highly respected K-1xe? I am considering both but haven't heard them yet. I like the size and weight of the K-5xe, and the full featured remote, but if the K-1xe blows it away, I might go that way.
paul_music
That should be perfect as far as putting it where I want on my shelves. Thanks for the info, Kurt. I have made a couple of phone calls to Ayre and talked with Steve and Michael. They are both so nice and helpful. I will call or email them about using it with my home theater setup. When I listen to audio I listen to two channel, but I think you can integrate it with HT, even without the processor input. There is a "Unity Gain" position on the volume control per the manual, and I think you would just set the Listen control to "video" and the volume to the unity gain position. At least that is what my dealer thinks, but he does not have the K-1 in stock. If that is not right, someone please enlighten me.
I have heard the K-5Xe with and without using a Runnings Springs Audio Haley. The dynamics and sound floor were definitely improved. One key characteristics of the Running Springs is that it does not limit current, however.
Go to the Ayre website, (Ayre.com) and you can download the K-1X manual which should answer all of your questions on the unity gain setting for HT pass through. You won't go wrong with any of their products, their customer service sets the standard of how it should be done, and their policy of honoring the warranties for second, third, and fourth generation owners adds additional value to their owners.
I got the Ayre K-1xe and I am so happy with it! Best hifi investment I ever made. And it is very compatable with my Home Theatre gear. It is broken in now and I am using it with the Ayre C-5xe player, two Linn Klimax 500 Solo amps, Wilson Sophia 2s, and an Aerial SW-12 sub. It is my dream system and has taken me a lifetime to acquire it, but in every way I am thrilled and delighted with it.
Congrats!

I am sure you will continue to enjoy the Ayre.
It is truly a top notch preamp, and one of the very best solid state preamps made, IMHO.

Now, all you need to do is buy the phono boards, and get an analog setup and your road to audio nirvana will be complete! (Well okay, my road to audio nirvana ended that way, FWIW!)

Have fun and I am glad you enjoy it!