Best Budget Choice for Preamp w/MC Built-In?

Greetings and thanks in advance for all thoughtful opinions! I'm putting together a new 2-channel system and now need a preamp to complete the package. The primary source will be a Thorens TD-320 with Denon DL-103R; I'll play CDs as well, but the line stage capability of the preamp will not be as important as the phono stage. The power amp will be an ATI 1502, which will put out about 220 wpc into the 4-ohm GMA Continuum-1's I picked up here on a'gon. (Actually picked up the ATI here as well!)

Now my budget is $250-300, which I know is tiny and inconsequential, but, well, that's it for now, so my choice is likely to be limited to vintage solid state. The guys at audiokarma have convinced me to consider one of the older Yamaha preamps in the C and CX series. The other model I've read good things about is the B&K Pro-10MC.

Has anyone heard these units and have thoughts about them? Are there other candidates I should know about? I don't care whether it has a remote or not -- I'm looking purely for the best phono sound possible in a single-full-function preamp.

Thanks for all help, Rich
winegasman
Thanks for the recommendations thus far. The Nakamichi appears to be the only one within my actual price range. Also, no one has commented on the virtues (vices?) of the Yamaha (C-2, C-80, C-85, CX-800) and B&K (Pro-10MC) models that I'm looking at. Any thoughts on those? I absolutely know that for more money I can get better equipment, but I do need to keep within my modest budget. Thanks for the help, Rich
How about $150.00 for an Adcom GFP-555. Smooth sound, nice MC stage, very well built and realiable. You will even have some scratch left over to buy Sundazed's excellent mastering of Laura Cantrell's breakthrough album, "When The Roses Bloom Again" and some of their nice Dylan mono reissues as well.
Viridian, now you're talking! How does the Adcom's MC stage compare to the vintage Yamaha preamps? Over at the vintage forum on audiokarma the Yamaha C and CX models have scads of superb comments. And if I remember correctly, at least some of those comments say that the Yammies out-perform the Adcom units. Have you had a chance to compare? Thanks for the lead. By the way, is the 555 as good as the 565 for MC? If the 565's MC stage is superior I might consider it also, and save up later for those Dylan monos. Take care, Rich
Well, I've done a small bit of checking and it appears that the Adcom 555 and 565 are MM only. If so, they wouldn't fill the bill.
the only help I can offer regarding the B&K Pro 10 is this -

I have and have had lot's of B&K gear and it's all great, especially for the $. I had the CS-117 preamp which is the same vintage, and I believe derived from the Pro-10. I didn't use the phono stage (and I know it didn't have MC), but the preamp was quite nice sonically - incredibly nuetral which is more than I can say for other pre's I tried in that same vintage and price range (Adcom, Parasound). It was also dead quiet.