Audio Horizons TP 2.0 Preamplifier

Anyone famaliar with the manufacturer,and in particular
this pre amp.The credentials and testimonials seem
impressive.The advertised 10 day audition is appealing.
markwatkiss
Rja,

It appears that no one with Wadia amps has tried the AH preamp out with it. Perhaps you can get one for a free home trial and let us know how it sounds.
I believe Audio Horizons will install volume control to the TD3.0 tube DAC so it can bypass preamp. Is anyone using the tube DAC direct?
Not me I have not tried it but anytime I have tried going direct with other equipment, the sound is clean but missing nuance and dynamics.
~
Hi all;

I'm rather new to tube equipment and high-end in general. This problem deals with the tubes on our TP 2.0n preamp.

The other night when listening, I noticed an unusual noise coming from the left speaker. We had just shaken the room with Micky Hart's Dafos album... serious bass on The Beam.

The noise was a cyclical, tinny, almost motor-like sound that would repeat in a 1-2-3 pattern. It was very noticeable from the listening position - enough to interrupt the session. Interestingly, it had the same tone or pitch as the microphonics that I *sometimes* hear on the pre-amp... if I tap the volume knob, I get that ringing sound. I turned off the TP 2.0 for a minute or two, re-started, and the sound was no longer there.

Just for gits and shiggles, I later rolled the tubes over one position. 1 went to position 2, 2 to 3, ..., 4 to position 1. I ensured that they were well seated, and then reinstalled Herbie's Tube Dampers a bit higher up - about as high up the tube as I could get them.

When I went to play again, at idle the preamp was dead silent. No microphonics - which continues to be the case - no recurrence of the cyclical noise.

So, the questions are: What's going on with the tubes? What might I have done to correct the problem - was it reseating, or repositioning? Do I have a tube going bad? If a bad tube were in, say, position 1 and then moved to position 2, am I going to be missing or risking something?

The tubes in question are Amperex PQ white label 6922s.

Thanks! I have no doubt that someone knows what's going on here.

Rob