Ok....Audiogoners: need some tube amp ideas

Any suggestion/comment is appreciated. Just off the top of my head, below is a list of initial parameters.

- budget: $4k ish (somewhat flexible)
- tubes/valves amp(s)
- preowned or new
- mono or stereo configuration
- min wattage: 70 and higher (this rating would afford me more speaker options down the road e.g. 4/8 ohm and >88db efficiency)
- brand(s): leaning toward more esoteric manufacturers or models (e.g. Dodd 120, VAC PHI, Audio Valves); would prefer staying away from manufactueres that do magazine advertisement.

Current thought: I might push the budget a bit to consider a pair of preowned Lamm ML1.

Thanks much. (currently listening to Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2 by NY Philharmonic/Berstein)

Ken
kyyuan
The Ait Tight and Atma-Sphere are in a completely different league than the Music Reference IMHO. Never heard of Dodd. Both these companies have long-standing high quality reputations. Ralph Karsten of Atma-Sphere is almost legendary in this regard.
If you do go OTL, you will need to have an appropriate speaker in mind. They don't mate well with everything. But when they do, they are amazing.
I would discount R_f_sales disparaging remark to "check out a real OTL design", which is code for "the Berning isn't a real OTL design". This topic has been discussed at great lengths elsewhere in the archives. The point is that they are both great amps, and if you get a chance to hear the Bernings you will likely hear things that few amps can accomplish. The similarity quality in sound of the Bernings, Atma-Spheres, Joule Electras and other OTLs is something that is rare overall, and difficult to do justice in words. Cheers,
Spencer
I am going to go out on a limb a bit and talk very briefly about the diff btwn Berning, Joule and Atma OTLs. I have had all 3 in my system over the last 2 years. I think that the Berning is the most neutral, the Joule the most emotional, and the Atma the quickest and most dynamic. Right now I am going the Atma way; the Berning is gone, and the Joule may be looking for a new home soon. In my system in my room, with my tastes, I like the Atma and the Joule better than the Berning. Others disagree. They are all great amps and you really can't go wrong. There are ergonomic/space/cost factors that probably will be important to many. The Joule is the biggest, heaviest, and runs the hottest. The Berning is the smallest, lightest, coolest running. The Atmas are monoblocks and have better seperation but also have an unusual form factor (AC inlet on opposite side from audio inlet. They also sound best running balanced or at least with an XLR cable from a quasi-balanced source. Decisions, decisions. If you live in the northeast, you are welcome to come hear the Joule and the Atma (at least until I need to free up some cash ans sell one.
Sbank & Swamwalker,

Good timing and the thoughtful inputs. We actually share similar speakers (I have the mx version). :o)

At this point, I'm down to:
- Air Tight atm-2
- VAC Phi 110
- and, maybe a pair of Pathos Classic one in mono

For our speakers, just about everyone suggests Berning, Atma, and Joule; hosever, I'm ready to try something else, something different. I just wish I can hear the above amps. A good dealer-friend speakes very highly of both the Air Tight and the Pathos. We'll see.

Ken
Kyyuan, I would also like to extend an offer, if you were interested and in the Detroit area please feel free to contact me about a listening session with the Atma-Sphere amp. I am not a dealer, just a very satisfied owner.

I would like to echo that Swampwalker gave IMHO an excellent comparison of three possibles. All great sounds in there own right. I have not owned but have heard all and settled with the Atma's because they moved me like no other amp musically and for there combined attributes.

Sbank, Please refrain from your negative interpretations and discounting of others opinions. It's not necessary to intelligently make your counter point. "The point is" Ken ask for some sound tube amp options and I responded. That is "code for" nothing but the facts. It’s fine with me that you don’t agree, really.

Happy Listening all!
I'm doing the Pathos monos using the Classic One MkII's; I'm enjoying them immensely! See my reviews (one review of the Classic One MkII in stereo; the second review of twin units in bridged/mono mode) on audioasylum.com

See also my virtual system. They sound as good as they look.