Whatever Happened To SAE?

I remember in the seventies walking into a Cal Stereo store in the LA area and seeing the SAE equipment. I was a college student back then and owned a reciever. The SAE stuff with it's black metal and white graphics looked sooo imposing and impressive. Amp, preamp, tuner and EQ all in one stack....man, if I could ever own something like that one day! By the time I could afford decent equipment, SAE has been long gone.

Was their stuff any good?

What happened to them?

thanks.......mitch
128x128mitch4t
RogerSound Labs was the mid-fi appendage to Upscale Audio.
One was next door to the other.
I bought a Sony ES 10-disk CD changer at RogerSound for $725 around 1987. I still have it and it works like new (had to change the laser about 6 years ago).
Roger Sound Labs had their own line of oak audio stands. Twenty five to thirty years ago I thought it was the coolest, classiest stuff I'd ever seen.

Remember Paris Audio in Torrance and West LA? I used to go in there all the time and stare at the stuff I couldn't afford. Perreaux MF2150, KEF 104.2s, and that Carver Cool Cube.
04-15-06: Gunbei
Roger Sound Labs had their own line of oak audio stands. Twenty five to thirty years ago I thought it was the coolest, classiest stuff I'd ever seen.
I owned one of those too. Bought it in their Going Out of Business Sale.

Sold it a year and a half ago when I replaced it with the Salamander Synergy cabinet.

How scary is that?
Paris Audio was so intimidating to me that I only went in there once. I never went into Upscale Audio for the same reason....I had a copy of Upscale's catalog that I used to drooll all over though. At the time I owned a Sansui 771 receiver with generic speakers, Technics turntable and a Superscope cassette deck. The stuff in Paris Audio and Upscale Audio was light years out of my reach.

Rogersound Labs speakers had a lifetime warranty.
04-15-06: Mitch4t
Paris Audio was so intimidating to me that I only went in there once.
Agreed. I own a Sony ES 6 disc changer that I bought as a demo from Paris Audio during their Going Out of Business Sale, too. 1991 I believe it was. I thought I had way overspent for my budget...but that player has been my favorite piece of gear for 15 years. I still have that changer, and it sounds terrific.