Whatever Happened To SAE?

I remember in the seventies walking into a Cal Stereo store in the LA area and seeing the SAE equipment. I was a college student back then and owned a reciever. The SAE stuff with it's black metal and white graphics looked sooo imposing and impressive. Amp, preamp, tuner and EQ all in one stack....man, if I could ever own something like that one day! By the time I could afford decent equipment, SAE has been long gone.

Was their stuff any good?

What happened to them?

thanks.......mitch
128x128mitch4t
Roger Sound Labs had their own line of oak audio stands. Twenty five to thirty years ago I thought it was the coolest, classiest stuff I'd ever seen.

Remember Paris Audio in Torrance and West LA? I used to go in there all the time and stare at the stuff I couldn't afford. Perreaux MF2150, KEF 104.2s, and that Carver Cool Cube.
04-15-06: Gunbei
Roger Sound Labs had their own line of oak audio stands. Twenty five to thirty years ago I thought it was the coolest, classiest stuff I'd ever seen.
I owned one of those too. Bought it in their Going Out of Business Sale.

Sold it a year and a half ago when I replaced it with the Salamander Synergy cabinet.

How scary is that?
Paris Audio was so intimidating to me that I only went in there once. I never went into Upscale Audio for the same reason....I had a copy of Upscale's catalog that I used to drooll all over though. At the time I owned a Sansui 771 receiver with generic speakers, Technics turntable and a Superscope cassette deck. The stuff in Paris Audio and Upscale Audio was light years out of my reach.

Rogersound Labs speakers had a lifetime warranty.
04-15-06: Mitch4t
Paris Audio was so intimidating to me that I only went in there once.
Agreed. I own a Sony ES 6 disc changer that I bought as a demo from Paris Audio during their Going Out of Business Sale, too. 1991 I believe it was. I thought I had way overspent for my budget...but that player has been my favorite piece of gear for 15 years. I still have that changer, and it sounds terrific.
Jafox....the Recycler is still going as strong as ever. You can still buy it at the newsstands and at your local 7-11 in Southern Cal. It is also on the web. I bought my first pair of Infinity Kappa 7 speakers out of the Recycler about six years ago. I didn't find out that I had paid waay too much until I joined Audiogon.