Any thoughts on Music Reference RM200

I am thinking of purchasing a Music Reference RM200. They have been out for some time and I am wondering if they have changed over the years to warrant a new purchase or look for a used amp. I would be using these on Apogee Scintillas so they better be in top operating condition. I am told that they can handle a one ohm load. Any thoughts on their sonic signature would also be appreciated. Bob
128x128baranyi
Baranyi you are very lucky to have apogees... they are the finest ribbon speakers that i heard of despite their age...

i can understand the difference in opinions when it comes to amplifaction on these... alot will depend on the listening levels, size of the room, and musical taste..

duetta's in a large room, were incredibly hard to drive. they really came alive (ie real bass) with large solid state amps with the volume knob at 4:00 on the preamp (it was pretty amazing)..... i have never seen a speaker that could take that much current/wattage and still sound that good...

are replacement ribbons available anywhere for them ? i would love to a get a pair and redo the crossover..
Mikesinger

I use Krell Ksa-250 or Rogue Audio M-120 Magnums with my Apogee Duetta Signatures...both do a fine job in my large room, the big Krell has the advantage of course in playback levels... not much of a factor for me though.

"are replacement ribbons available anywhere for them?"

Yep, two suppliers ....you install, or pay them to install for you.

Dave
Mikesinger-come to the Apogee forum and see that Apogee owners are alive and well in continuing to maintain this fine brand's speakers. Bob
Baranyi
I have owned an RM200 twice and it is my current amp. The first one was back in 1999 and at that time I did not have enough experience to realize how good I had it. It is the only piece I have ever bought twice and I paid a lot more for it the second time around.
With some very simple mods (new internal wire, hexfreds, and 4 interstage cap upgrades, a great PC (say a revelation audio labs)and some Shuguang smooth plate KT88's, this amp has it all in the 100 watt league. I owned many amps in the interval, many a multiple in cost and they all have thier own shortcomings. The RM200 has the fewest. It really can deliver the tone and texture of some of the best SE's combined with unwavering control. It is also DEAD quiet, easy on tubes, and extremely reliable.
As for your speakers, Try one first, if you find you need more (which I doubt) you can bridge them.