Mccormack DNA125 or Belles 150A Hot Rod

I'm in the market for a new amp and trying to decide which one would give me the best sound and value. I'm unable to audition either. My pre is a VTL 2.5 and speakers are Infinity Kappa 8.1 (89db).
Thanks for any input.
mfb33
You seem to have hit the topic upon it's pointed little head. Sometimes the bottom line depends upon the depth of the green valley we sit on. A quick glance at the McCormack amps for sale (here on Agon) shows a 4 to 1 or even 5 to 1 ratio (between the 125 and 500). I guess when you have the need for 4 or 5 real good amps and just can't miss another meal (or payment on your beemer), the 125 would just "have" to do. Lets see now, where did I put those Apogee Full Ranges ?
It all just boils down to ones tastes and budget (usually not in that order). I like McCormack equipment. I am now on my THIRD TLC (although my first was a "new" Mod Squad Line Drive). Today I am anxiously awaiting a Philips CDM 12.1 for my older, inoperable McCormack SST-1 Transport. I hope that it works. I hate to see the thing go.

Back to the thread, I think that if money is an issue, and the only choice is between the Belles and McCormack, I would pick the McCormack. The Belles has its strenghs, but the McCormack always leans on the side of music. It is the "pace" and finite quickness that shows through with the McCormacks. It's the little things (the McCormacks have) that make musicical nuances an individual fraction of the art as whole. I have always found that in McCormack equipment. I found it in Belles as well, but not to the degree that the Mac's have it.
Just my 2 cents.

Tubby
Audphile 1

I would love to hear the 125 Silver. However, I am confused. Reading about the revisions on Steve's website indicates you don't get the Piltron transformers until you step up to the Platinum upgrade. If someone in the Deep South/ Mid South or Ohio Valley has one I am open to an audition even if I had to drive some miles. As I bought my 125 used the sliver upgrade would essentially double what I have in my amp. Would it make it twice as good? Audiophile math, ouch Zaikesman!
Hi Hoopster -

You are correct that the Plitron toroid transformer is included as part of the Platinum upgrade, but the Plitron may also be added as an option to other upgrades. The cost has increased just recently, and is now $525 (as an added option). This Plitron provides a very large increase in current capability for the "smaller" amps (DNA-0.5 & DNA-125) as well as a nice improvement in overall sound quality.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
www.SMcAudio.com
Hoopster, I have a friend who had his DNA-125 upgraded to Silver and also added a Plitron as an option due to the speakers he has. Silver upgrade should be a very nice step up from the stock amp. You don't know it until you hear one.