DK Design VS.1 Reference mkII - Optimization

I would like to know what tuning, customizing, hot rodding, tweaking, what ever.. that you owners of DK Design VS-1 MK2 are using to bring out the best in this amp. It seems to be responsive to changes in interconnects, tubes, power & speaker cables, speaker dynamics, etc. most probably to both the positive and negative.

Please share your work. I would like to know what improved it's performance, what caused no real change and what made it sound worse. Thanks in advance!
jomoinc
Jomionc, I have come upon a tube that just seems to synergize with the DK beautifully and this is it:
http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20E88CC/E88CC12.htm
It is designated a Valvo, sold to me as a Mullard, but evidently is a Phillips/Amperex according to Tube Classics. All of a sudden there is this deep structured, detailed bass response with neutral and transparent mids and highs. Look for it as a Valvo E188CC.
Here is a German site that features it:
http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Roehren-Geschichtliches/ECC88-Familie/Valvo-E188CC/Val-E188.htm

The difference this tube made in my VS-1 was nothing short of amazing.
I wanted to ask, how do I change the gain of the amp? I'm asking because I listen to it at no more than 9-10 o'clock and it's pretty load, or is it b/c it's so called 'class A' amp? Anyone noticed this?
Jimtyrro,
I read that the input level is ajustable from the preamp pots but that is all I know at this time. It was in relation to dropping the gain to allow for a "hot" phono preamp input voltage. If you find out anything, please post and I will do the same. I noted the same thing on an earlier post on this thread.
Jon
Jon,

I was coressponding with Daniel some time ago, and in one of his emails he wrote the following:

The line-stage has variable gain. There are small potentiometers on the pre-amp board next to each tube. The potentiometer is adjustable with a screw driver and you can set the optimal gain for your system if needed.

I've tried this yesterday without any luck, the volume is still at 9-10 for notmal listening level. So, I guess I'll have to contact DK Design and see what they will advise....I let you know.
If you are not in a big hurry, apparently exemplaraudio.com will modify (commissioned project) these to add their "active" tube control circuit design as seen in some other tube preamps as well as other design issues (capacitor / power supply mismatching) and upgrades to parts. They are known for mods to the Denon 2900 & others to kick them up into a higher performance category. They also offer build services on the Bottlehead Valve Kits. Also rumored to be the design source for some of the DK signature version improvements....