Do I really need a pre-amp?

As a bit of a neophyte (but one who loves music), do I really need a pre-amp if I am only using a cd source? A friend told me that I could simply hook up a high quality amp to a cd player and that would be adequate. Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Thanks.
jpshinn
I hope your cd player has a volume control. If not, you could be in for a very interesting surprise. :) Doug
If your CD source has no volume control of its own, you'll need one--but it could be just a volume control, along with connectors for cables in and out of it. This is called a passive preamp, and debates rage--well, simmer, at least--over whether passives provide better sound than active preamps. My opinion, based on experience with highly regarded actives, is that if your CD output is up to it, as it will be in a good (but probably not in a mass market) CD player, you'll be better off with a passive. And you'll be able to save a lot of money--which, as a good audiophile, neophyte or not, you'll promptly spend on some other part of your system. If you want details on a DIY passive better than almost any nonDIY one, please contact me through Member Lookup. Or look at the DIY section of www.goldpt.com for the hardware and a schematic for a more complex passive than you're likely to need. Or both. Good luck!
You do not if you use a CD Player or DAC with variable output (volume control). The best I have found is the Audio Aero Capitole 24 /192. It is just gorgeous and has enormous gain.

Good Luck!
Thanks for everyone's (except Cornfedboy who seems to be a rather unpleasant person); note I don't necessarily have the time to cross-reference every single post) response. I am taking my first baby steps in the world of high-end audio and I'm trying to decide where to start my acquisitions. The posted comments were quite helpful. All the best. JS
...i want to finish what Doug did not
...and the surprize can be a blown speaker(s)!