Is Bi - amping worth the trouble?

Hello all...

I'm on the fence with the thought of bi amping. A big part of me wants to go ahead with it... the 'wallet' part says "Not so fast".

There should be lots of folks who've biamped speakers before... When it was all said and done, "Was it worth the time and expense?"

I'm inclinded to add a tube amp for the upper end of my VR4 JR's ... or any other speakers for that matter... though in any case and reardless the speakers, tube amp on top, and SS on the bottom.

...and then there's the thought of keeping two dissimilarly powered amps matched at the same volume level... and the added IC's, PC, and stand... it does seem to add up.

... and at this point, I'm thinking BAT to keep things all the same... and am not sure there, wether even that matters too much...

I sure do appreciate the input.
blindjim
Macrojack
that is funny. thanks. I have been giving a lot of thought to the chair lately. Just putting it off till I revamp the room. Making do with what's here, given the incredible prices of the furniture I have seen that I do like. You could get a nice amp for the price of the couch alone. so I've decided to settle for less costly a seating arragement. And rugs? My goodness!

For good or ill, my friend, this time next year ol' blindjim, is going to have two amps driving something. Probably be driving me nuts. A fella told me sometime back, as life improves, problems do not go away, all we can hope for is that the quality of them improves too.

I am also considering (passive) bi-amping B&W802Ds... Owning now two quite a big SS amps - Rotel RB-1090 and Parasound Halo A21, preamp Primare PRE30 (two pairs RCA output plus single pair XLR outputs), I wonder which configuration is appropriate: RB-1090 on woofer, while Halo A21 on mid/high terminals should be natural solution, given the power/watt capability (RB-1090 380Wpc, Halo A21 250Wpc). Some guys ephasized strong position of the "gain" factor of both power amps. I took a look at RB-1090 and Halo A21 specs, and not found any "gain" spec.

Guys, could anyone tell me something more about compatibility of RB-1090 and Halo A21 as pair of bi-amping SS powers?

BTW: I am building the new audio room these days, so not tested anything yet. B&W and Rotel brand new, received recently.
Zormi- Try to see bi-amping as a remedy. That is, something you apply in an attempt to overcome some shortcoming or failure in your system. You have brand new equipment ready to install in an unfinished room. Why not put it all together and see what you have before introducing change? You may not need or want to do anything at all.
Not all changes (mods) are improvements. And audio is not purely additive. More can be worse and less can be better.
Take your time and alter things gradually and, above all, one at a time. Fast changes make for slow progress and slow changes make for fast progress.
The only places where bi-amping is really useful are in powered speakers where the amps are onboard and dedicated to their assigned drivers OR in speaker systems specifically designed for use with an active crossover and multiple outboard amps. The rest of this stuff is just toyboy nonsense.
Hello Zormi,

Though I always recommend biamping I would agree that it is best to finish your room and listen to your new system enjoy each step of the way....
I am also finishing my audio room these days! and am also waiting to try new things I have a pair of subwoofers I want to try as a biamping alternative and probably a new better transport! But the first thing will be to listen at my system as it was when I took it apart.

Thanx for inputs guys,

It seems the best to try all options, step by step... And I would do so, surely. My main concern was the UNSPECIFIED (in specifications) gain factor of both power amps. I am curious can I derive somehow the gain factor basing calculation on other available specifications...

Halo A21 mated with Primare PRE30 achieved stunning results driving a pair 803S. I consider my new 802D as much more difficult task for the power amp - that's why a new RB-1090 reinforcement in my place.