best bang for the buck tube preamp?

would like to try out a tube pre to see if tubes are for me without spending big bucks($250-$500). two channel, no phono and i need two sets of outputs.
hemidakota
The Bottlehead Foreplay is the Pre Amp.. Not the Seduction it is a Headphone Amp.
Thanks Rene..I hadn't thought about this either. A fellow(oliverlim) mentioned on a thread I started on audiocircle about the Promitheus that he replaced his Rotel 1068 with the Promitheus for music. I found his comments here Promitheus. It ain't tubes but it sure sounds fantastic!

Good listening
Based on your system- a tube pre should be a welcomed addition providing it is quiet enough. It needs to have good tubes in it, too.

From what I've read about your dvd/cd player, you need a pre that preserves your imaging. Adding a little "bite" might not be bad because some of your stuff is kinda on the smooth side- even if it is digital. You need very little gain...

So, I'd be looking for a tube pre with a lively attitude- yet quiet enough to not be noticed. If you want the ultimate in bang for the buck- think DIY (do it yourself).

I suggest a Bottlehead Foreplay III linestage. It's a DIY kit that's VERY easy to build and has enough gain to easily drive your amp. It should knock the socks off your system. My guess is that it would add some much needed sparkle and fill it all out with a more "lush" staging. Your rig is begging for something like this.

You could also get a DYNACO pas3 pre for cheap and do a few upgrades- like some good telefunken tubes, a better power supply, power cord, and upgraded input/output jacks. Once upgraded- they're really hard to beat. The cool thing is, their price gets you in the world of tubes for cheap and the upgrades will come later as you have the cash to do them. You can always get your money back out of a PAS3. They have a very firm value (+/- $300) for a good one.

Have fun!!
Koiman, thanks for the correction - the foreplay is the pre and of course the seduction is the phono-amp :)

Rene
Sound Valves VTP-101i meets all your requirements. The phono section is there, but it represents a superb bonus for some subsequent buyer if you ever get restless to upgrade. Reasonable price, probably less than $400 when purchased used on Audiogon and eBAy. Occasionally comes up for sale.
I have placed it in many different systems, without hearing any significant shortcoming.
It will even inspire you to try a tube amp once you see how fine tubes can sound.
In my trials, it far outdid my stock Dynaco PAS-3, and it doesn't require internal upgrades to be fully competent.
Just choose your footers (such as Herbie's Tenderfeet), and power cord of your choice, and prepare to be impressed.