Building the Audio Note Kit 1 SET amp...

Hi, Folks,
If anyone's interested, I've started a blog with lots of photos, documenting my ongoing build of the Audio Note Kit 1 300B SET amp. If you've ever thought of building any kit before and want to get a feel for what it's like, you're welcome to have a look!
rebbi
Rob,thanks. The dynamo/decapo pair has much to like, but I think walking bass presents a challenge. When I get everything reunited in my new home I will reevaluate this with the decapos drive by the Frankensteins.
Raylinds:
Thanks a lot for the kind comments and I'm so glad you have been enjoying the blog and this thread. I've learned a great deal from you guys as well. I can relate to your sense of impending letdown as you come to the End of your build. The process of watching the kit come together and the pleasure of handling the parts and understanding how things fit together is substantial. And wow, what a system you're building! I'm also planning on building another kit.

Mapman,
Brian, his supplier and tranny designer are going to "autopsy" the transformers to try to ascertain what happened. Short of the package having been scanned in a very strong magnetic field during shipping, they don't know what would've caused it. (I reassured Brian that I don't have an MRI machine in the room where I built the kit!) :-) So, all that remains to be seen.

Rob,
I am not surprised that the Tekton on speaker has stronger presence and pitch definition in the bass region. The M Lore is rated down to 38 Hz, a full 4 Hz lower than the De Capo, and the full-size Lore digs all the way down to 30 Hz so that's a full 12 Hz lower.
To give you one example of where the De Capo comes up short at the bottom end, and I've used this example before in my online reviews, the Steely Dan album "2 against Nature," has a wonderful, jazz inflected tune called "Negative Girl." The opening bars feature a dancing, percolating electric bass line that goes very, VERY deep. I've never tried to figure out exactly what the notes are, but I mean, you rarely, if ever, hear that instrument played down that low on recorded music. On my old Merlin TSM-mmi's, those very deep notes were completely missing in action – I mean, they just weren't there at all, which is not surprising because that monitor is only rated down to 55 Hz. On the De Capo, the notes are what I would describe as "just barely" there. If you really concentrate, you can hear them, but the lowest of the low are very faint. I'm imagining this is an area where the Lore would smoke the De Capo! What I am really curious about, and guess I would never really know unless I had the chance to do a head-to-head comparison with my gear in my room, is whether, lower end aside, the rest of the Lore presentation has the resolution, delicacy and coherence of the De Capo. I mean, in a way, I can see where it might, since the design philosophies of the two speakers are really not all that different. You have a wide range driver coupled with a supertweeter, crossed over quite high. And I think that the crossover in both is pretty minimalistic, although the De Capo somewhat more so in that regard.
Rebbi,
In my view and it goes without saying, YMMV, the Tekton M-Lore does match the resolution, delicacy, and coherence of the De Capo. If you aggregate all the reviews for example, all the reviewers say the same thing: neutral, transparent, huge well-layered soundstage, tone, timbre, harmonics right-on, well-balanced top to bottom, dynamic, no-fatique, and so forth. It really does tick off all the boxes. Maybe not the last nth of resolution, but it is very resolving, as reviewer Tim Smith said, you will here Miles chair creek. I heard it easily. IMHO, on balance, the Tekton M-Lore beats the De Capo. Tim Smith also liked the M-lore better than his Harbeth 7 overall. Both the De Capo and Harbeth are about for times the cost of the M-Lore. The Lore improves the bass even more. On both speakers the bass is very tuneful, solid, and just right to my ears.

I still like the De Capo a lot, they are wonderful speakers. I also like my brother's Harbeth SHL5. The Tekton can hang with either. Again, YMMV. Best.
Mikirob
I am excited to hear that you and your wife will be building a Kit One. Great little amp, and I'm sure you'll love it. I look forward to reports on the process.
Charles,
As you know, I was itching to upgrade the 300b's in my Kit One, but there were too many other financial priorities. I would love to have a set of the Takatsuki like you have, but that's out of reach now.
Sometime a week or so ago,another member mentioned that Parts Connexion had Black Treasure 300b z tubes on sale for $279.00 pr. I went for it as that is a good deal, and they are arriving tomorrow.
Obviously there are better ones, but they should be a nice upgrade from the tubes that came with the amp.
I will report when they have broken in a bit.
John