Building the Audio Note Kit 1 SET amp...

Hi, Folks,
If anyone's interested, I've started a blog with lots of photos, documenting my ongoing build of the Audio Note Kit 1 300B SET amp. If you've ever thought of building any kit before and want to get a feel for what it's like, you're welcome to have a look!
rebbi
Rebbi,
I don't listen to large scale symphonic music very often, but when I do it's enjoyable and engaging in my system. I can relate to yours and Jet's comments. Before I got my SET amp one of the warnings was they can't unravel complex music. Implied is they're only good for low demanding simple music. That may be true for lesser SETs or if there's a poor speaker match.

The first time I played a classical orchestra CD(RCA Living Presence CSO late 1950s) I was nearly stunned by how good it was,layers od depth, fine separation,clarity. Nothing fell apart or collapsed. Now I wasn't listening at peaks of 110 db(I just don't listen at that loud level). The music was at a volume I found to be very satisfying and involving, that's good enough for me. I would likely require a more powerful amp if that type of listening was my primary fare(but it isn't). I truly enjoy all genres of music when the mood strikes. For the most part it's a large collection of jazz of various size groups. The point is you have an excellent amplifier that with appropriate speakers will allow you to enjoy whatever you like at a very high quality level of reproduction.
Thanks Rebbi and Almarg for the Chesky recommendations. I didn't know about them. If anyone is a Dvorak fan I can also recommend the late 1950's "Stereorama" George Szell Cleveland recordings. Crystal clear.
Charles, I have CSO/Renier Bartok RCA Living Presence from the mid fifties. As you mention, layers of depth and clarity. Of course all of these recordings were done with tube gear and its no wonder they sound so good.
Its nice to be listening to a SET amp putting out 8-10watts and able to shake the walls with an orchestra crescendo and one second later be totally drawn into the spooky layers and room filling depth of a quite moment where the strings are shimmering and woodwinds are playing a quite melody. Or have Sarah Vaughan singing right before my eyes in my living room or Peter Gabriel or St Vincent or Pink Floyd rocking out and the the groove is so convincing that my whole body is moving in my listening seat. With Rock recordings a SET amp does some special things. Since there is so much ambient (reverb) used on many of these recordings a SET amp presents the ambient info as various layers that float into the listening room with richness depth and clarity but also as a musical whole. And they are easy to build- Magic!
04-09-15: Rebbi
Map, Sebrof may be lending me his Tekton Katz Meow speakers to try out at home. It will give me a chance to see what a much higher efficiency design sounds like. I am very interested in the prospect of getting a much higher efficiency speaker in the mix and seeing what that does for the synergy of the system. On the other hand, the De Capo is sounding VERY good right now. Decisions, decisions
You are welcome to try them. They were my main speakers at one point (before I made the ones I have now and when I was in a small room) and with my 2A3 SET amp they were the speakers above all others that gave me that SET/Holographic sound. I am interested to read your impressions of them if you do try them.