The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
@Whatthe, congrats on your Q5's! If you're running the big SS-102 or SM-102's your Q5's will have enough juice to properly control them. Because the Q5's are more neutral, I would (personally) lean toward the SS-102 which sounds a bit warmer than the mono's, but that's a matter of personal taste.

In general, Vitus pairs extremely well with Magico & is one of the few amps which makes the Q series sing. I've also heard good things about The Gryphon, Pass XS series & CJ Art/Gat amps.
David12
I happen to agree with you. I've heard 3 different sets of Magico at 3 different shows---all set up by Alon Wolf. I have found Magico to be accurate reproducers of sound with a touch of sterility that keeps them from drawing me in.
My feeling in a Magico room is: These speakers are very good, but there are lots of very good speakers---- why all the fuss?
Disclaimer---I have not heard the S series.
Gpgr, I'm not surprised by your comments as you have a long history on this forum of being firmly in the Wilson camp and vocal in your commentary about Magico. In regard to shows, they are poor litmus tests for any loudspeaker, so i'm surprised you're relying on notoriously poor show conditions to form a view. The S series have a warmer, fuller and more relaxed sound which to my ears sound well balanced and coherent. Atleast paired with Vitus Sig series, they sound anything but sterile. I do agree with you however that audio is subjective.
Here's the thing, shows suck. You are right there are many "very good" speakers. Just that the Q5's are not just very good speakers. I love that critique "sterile". It's one of those phrases thrown at anything to attempt to convince others of an items inadequacy. I don't me to be rude. I do not know any of you but you're views are of no real value here if shows are you point of reference! Your the ones missing out.
I'm just say'in ✌️
Whatthe, no one is denying your right to enjoy Magico speakers, we just reserve the right to disagree. The speakers are not for us, that is all. Ours is a broad church which should allow many opinions. "Sterile" is a word I would use, in the context of Magico Speakers and it means different things to different people. To me, it means the sound may have many attributes, but creating the impression of live music, isn't one. I would add other well received and popular "High End Brands", Focal and B and W come to mind.

You criticise us for making a judgement based on shows and I agree, it is not ideal. The rooms are poor and there is insufficient time for a system to settle in. I look at it the other way, if a system, piece of equipment sounds good in show conditions, then it must be pretty good. Another point, what is the alternative to a show? A fellow enthusiasts home system would be ideal, if you can find one. The alternative is a dealer and I think dealers are in enough trouble without me wasting their time listening to speakers I don't like and can't afford anyway. I will not take a dealers time, where I have no intention to buy.