McIntosh C1000 tube pre vs. ARC Ref 3?

Has anybody heard these against each other? Both are very well received by the audio press.
gpgr4blu
Since I deal in Manhattan with Lyric HiFi, great guys, and they have both I have just concluded an A/B. My system: ARC REF 3, ARC CD 7, ARC REF 110, Virgo 111's, NBS Omega Cables all around. I will admit that the system is tremendously accurate and transparent, but needs some warmth. I demoed the MAC for a few days and was almost sold. In many ways it does beat the ARC REF 3, but unfortunately IMHO it is simply colored. On many recordings, especially lean ones, it improves the musical element, but at the cost of accuracy. The clincher: on vocals such as Frank, Ella, and many opera singers I never felt that I was listening to the singers as I knew them. I could see many people however favoring the MAC. I still need more warmth, but can't go this direction. Still a great piece of equipment, just not for me.
Sparkster- Everything is colored. There is no such thing as perfection. Good luck in your search.

Arthur
Sparkster, for a touch of added warmth you may want to vary the cable configuration rather than switching electronic components. Try for example a length of Purist Anniversary between the CDp and your linestage.
Sparkster...2 great preamps you demo'ed and you did it the right way. Aball is right though everything electronic adds color.