Opportunity to buy the best Preamp... but which?

On the tube front... AR Ref3 vs. CJ ART3 vs. VL TL-7.5 vs. Wavac PR-T1?

Or on the SS front... Burmester 808Mk5 vs Dartzeel NHB-18NS vs Krell Evolution2 vs MBL 6010D vs Halcro DM10?

My preference would be a neutral tube based model.

Any opinions?

Andrew
stevecortez
Hi Dave

I agree with you re the cj ACT2. I had it at home and it did not do it for me. Same with the CT5. hence me going back to the ART, which is musically wonderful. I guess that is why its s/h value is more than the ACT2.
I don't think having 3 versions of a pre amp in 10 years is excessive - do you??
ARC have gone thru triple that with the ref pre.
I have heard the PH7 and it is a honey.

That is the great thing about audio, they are so many different routes to personal music satisfaction.
Hi John

Been a while.

What do you have these days, besides a ref3 pre which by all accounts is a luvely pre amp and easily ARC's best.

have you heard the PH7, sounds wonderful. me i am just a little worried about the 57.5db gain but now I have the ART with quite a bit of gain I will try the PH7 again.

You should put your system on gon.

cheers Shane
Hi Shane,

Yeah, I guess it has been awhile. I got tired of making all of the changes so I stopped posting my system a couple years ago. It seemed that my 'System' was always obsolete. 8-)

John

PS: I'll PM you with the latest boring details.
If price is not a major factor, you might want to try the new CAT legend. I have not heard it, but knowing Ken Stevens work, which I highly respect, I would be amazed if it wasn't a world beater.
I recall FM Acoustics now...it's a swiss boutique manufacturer catering to the exclusive "money is no object/sound is second" club.
Hardly. It's a pro equip manufacturer, it's not priced over all others, and the sound quality is superb. Nice quote however.
Likewise, atma's pre is also superb sounding, and the latest CAT is also nice.
Many nice products out there -- to little money.