VAC Preamp

Does anyone have experience with the VAC Standard or Standard LE preamp? I was thinking about a used one and having it retrofitted to accept a balanced input for my SACD unit. I am wondering whether the sound was "tubey" or not and whether the quality of the unit was worth the price. Also, any comparisons to Aesthetix or other preamps would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
teeshot
The VAC Ren would fit right near the low end of that range and it will do balanced in and out. Used cost should be +/- $5K depending on whether you need phono or not. If you can swing it it is a great pre-amp, IMO. HT pass thru and a very good remote if you need/want those features.
I've had a VAC Standard LE and didn't find it "tubey" at all. In my system, I directly compared it to a $10K Thor pre and the VAC at 1/2 the price won me over. Excellent detail, imaging and most of all, musicality. High quality build and excellent support from VAC are the icing. The Renaissance sound like the best fit for you, as others above had mentioned. Good luck.
P.S. - I now have a Phi 2.0 pre and a Phi 300.1 amp on order.
I don't believe that the VAC standard preamp features a truly balanced (fully differential balanced) circuit, but rather, has a single-ended circuit with a few XLR connections. This would not at all be a bad thing -- balanced circuitry in audiophile equipment is of arguable utility.

The VAC Renaissance preamps evidently do feature a fully balanced circuit.