cat jl3 signatures vs. atmashere ma2III's

Has anyone had the cahnce to hear these amps side by side? I was wondering what the sonic differences would be between them. I have heard the cat jL2 signature but have not heard the monoblocks. Do you think the atmasphere would give me the bass slam of the cats. I know both have great midrange and I know that the cat will be a little more "maintenance" but which one do you folks prefer and why? Any input would be much appreciated.
optarchie
Hello Optarchie,

I just spoke with Tierry Budge's distributor, Todd Waldron, who told me that the impedance curve for the Fremont stays between 6.5 ohms and 10 ohms. That is extremely impressive and good news as far as OTL amp matching goes (I'm an Atma-Sphere dealer).

Given their benign impedance and 93 dB sensitivity, I think that not only the MA-1 but also the M-60 would work well on the Fremonts.

At last year's RMAF Ralph and I teamed up a 92 dB speaker with the little S-30. The speaker's impedance stayed between 7 and 12.5 ohms - comparable to the Fremont. In my opinion this combination worked quite well and it could play louder without distortion than I ever normally listen. So I feel confident that even the S-30 could drive the Fremonts.

Best of luck in your quest,

Duke

There is a relevant review to this group , August 2007, by Mark Michelson, Soundstage, where he compares the Atma shpere MA-2 to the CAT JL-2 Signature and an Audio Research, which is a must read to all the participants of this discussion.

He praises the mid range of the MA-2, but finds the CAT as the most dynamic, weighty, powerful and probably the most balanced amp of the three and one of the best available at any price, certainly at half the price.

I don't own either amp, have considered both and others, as I am looking for a new tube amp, with dynamics and finesse for my system.

Louis
Louis, thanks for referencing the Marc Mickelson review of the CAT JL2 amps. It was an interesting read. I suppose, as with so much else in this hobby of ours, the right answer for each of us will ultimately depend on finding the right balance and synergy of components that comprise the entire system. One thing I ponder over is the impact of Mickelson's preferred speakers in his appraisal of what he's hearing. Still, a good article and well worth reading. Thanks again for pointing to it.

Regards,
Duane were you being serious? Just curious. I totally agree with the "overkill" comments, in my view less power is almost always better than more if it is sufficient for the speaker load and sensitivity and a loudness level you seek. Duke, do you think the S-30 would drive the Merlin VSM-MXe (89db, very linear 8 ohm load)as effectivley as the higher powered Atmas?
Interesting he finds stronger attributes in the JL2 amps in his August review but then in his new October review of Atma's MP-1 preamp, he has this comment.

"Regardless of technology, pairing the MP-1 Mk III preamp to my Atma-Sphere MA-1 Mk III power amps increased the sonic realism of my system. But the effect was subtractive -- this dynamic duo simply put less between the music and my ears. Together they yielded a distortion floor lower than any combination of gear I’ve used thus far."