Audiophile Results

Which component is the most critical, the processor or the amp? I hope to attain a audiophile stereo system as the front end of a HT room.
pegasusxls
Mark, I've heard great speakers sound very good with average electronics. I've never heard average speakers sound any better than average no matter how good the front end is.

The differences between average front ends and great front ends are subtle. The differences between average speakers and great speakers are HUGE,

The differences between great front ends are even subtler while the differences between great speakers are still HUGE.

Any front end will work in any room which cannot be said about speakers.

You must find a speaker that pleases you and works in your room and then find electronics that mate well with them.
And I suppose taped recordings sound better than the record from which it was dubbed,right.
And I suppose taped recordings sound better than the record from which it was dubbed,right
That's copy. The subject here is different: sound reproduction.

Actually, Herman is correct in his assertion, both empirically (you can try it) and measurably.

The linear & non-linear distortions produced by the speaker, and amp-speaker interface are very broad -- not to speak of spkrs placement within a room; by comparison, the distortion product due to up-chain electronics is small.

Also keep in mind that more source components are reasonable performers nowadays -- as opposed to the '70s when Linn marketed the concept of "source first" (they sold a source components after all...). EVen Linn doesn't advocate this anymore (not with the same vehemence, anyway): the sales pitch now is, "system". Likwise in advertising, where the all-round excuse for unsuccessful campaigns was, "garbage in garbage out". Cheers