Tube integrated amps

HI,

Don't know anything about tube integrated amps but want to learn.

Where are some good resources?

Want to give one a try in a second system that has Dynaudio 1.3SE speakers. Don't want to spend more than 2300 used or 4K new.
nycjdc
Do you have a dealer or freind in your area that would allow you to bring you speakers over the try out. Get a feel for how much power you want or need. I have a fisher 400 that is used with rogers ls3/5A's that sound quite nice. The fisher 400 is about 26 watts and the rogers are rated at 82 db @ 15 ohms. I admit a 15 ohm speaker is much easier load for a tube amp than a 6 ohm speaker.

You can also call the manufacture and ask their opinion on which of their integrated amps can handle speakers with low impedance. Everyone I have talked to are very helpful and would give their recomendation as to which of their products would handle your speakers.

I have not heard these integrated amps from Cary, Rogue, Audio Research or VTL but they all appear to be good products. Do your reseach and give it a try.
I agree with Pubul57 in that there is more going on here than decibels. In fact, in my example of ~40 tube watts driving well a set of speakers with a mildly ugly impedance curve, that tube amp replaced a MF A5 that claimed 250+ watts into 8 ohms. The MF had better control of the woofer, of course, but not by much. And across the rest of the frequency spectrum? Not even close, those tubes make music.

And as for establishing a reference based on a top-flight system, well watch your wallet as you slide down that slippery slope .

I like the idea of an NAD/Polk as a reference (mine is NAD/Boston Acoustics, by the way), then anything better is just an added treat.

So long as it all remains fun, eh?
I would also suggest a Unico or Pathos , although it depends on your personal taste, room dynamics, cabling etc etc. Perhaps a used Unico SE or Pathos Classic (MKIII) on audiogon is better value and in your price range.

I used a standard Unico (rated at 80w) to drive relatively insensitive speakers to great effect in a medium sized room. In one case, they were the Spendor 3/5SE's (84dB sensitivity) and the Harbeth M30's (85 db). Very musical, and solid low end punch from these monitors.

Anyway, good luck with your search - I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions above.
Vincent Audio makes 2 integrated amps that are between $1k and $2k. Heard them at a show. Tough to beat at 2 to 3 times the price. I think they were the model 226 and 236.
Beautiful sounding and to look at.