Are passive preamps better?

Does a passive preamp with transformers so that its impedence can be matched with an amplifier have the potential to provide better sonics than a line preamp? I have a Simaudio Celeste preamp and a Harman Kardon Citation 7.1 amplifier. Lynne
arnettpartners
Albertporter...First of all, I do agree with you that an active preamp usually works best. I guess I would agree with your original comment if it said "lack of signal degradation" rather than "signal enhancement".

I don't know when passive preamps became commercially available, but several decades ago I made one to suit my particular (rather unique) matrix multichannel system. I had plenty of gain, and my solid state source components had the low output impedance to drive tube amps having high input impedance.

By the way, an integrated amp or a receiver essentially has a passive preamp in it (without the external interconnects).
By the way, an integrated amp or a receiver essentially has a passive preamp in it (without the external interconnects).

Like the Ayre AX-7e.
Eldartford,

My exact comment about passives:

Zero gain, zero contrast and zero dynamic enhancement from the original signal.

Isn't zero dynamic enhancement the opposite of improved dynamics?

I don't consider great gain, improved dynamics, vivid contrast and improved bandwidth as distortion.

My meaning was clear and exact in both situations. You seem to be more interested in taxing peoples comment with semantics than contributing to the knowledge base.
Albertporter...Just as tube circuits are known to modify the incomming signal by generating harmonics which some think are pleasant, I am suggesting that the extra circuitry of an active preamp may be doing the same thing. I think this is an idea to consider: not just semantics.

Of course "great gain, improved dynamics, vivid contrast and improved bandwidth" is not distortion. But these do not "enhance" (add to) the input signal. They preserve it. Anything added is distortion.
Of course "great gain, improved dynamics, vivid contrast and improved bandwidth" is not distortion. But these do not "enhance" (add to) the input signal. They preserve it. Anything added is distortion.

Inaccurate, a preamp always adds something to the signal, it's an amplifier. The question becomes one of improved sound or not.

Albertporter...Just as tube circuits are known to modify the incomming signal by generating harmonics which some think are pleasant, I am suggesting that the extra circuitry of an active preamp may be doing the same thing.

Tube or transistor, both add to the signal, nothing is perfect. It then becomes a question, do the benefits outweigh the negatives?