Brand preference and opinions

Like cars with many brands, it is generally considered that Mercedes Benz, BMW, Lexus, Audi, Acura, Rolls Royce, Porsche, etc... to be in the top group. Ferrari, Lamborgini, Mclaren, etc... to be in the elite group and of course Toyota, Honda, Ford, Nissan, etc... to be in the general group.
Getting back to audio, I am looking for your opinion as to what is in the top group. For example, I think Conrad Johnson, Mcintosh, Mark Levinson, etc... brands to be in this group.
I like your opinion what would be in general the top brands for this group in the order of what is considered higher level.
My reasoning.... I am considering buying a amp/preamp or integrated amp based on brand only just like some people who buys a low end Benz for the prestige even though they could have had a higher end Lexus for the same money
shsu
Shopping this way (by brand name) will be (unless the gods are with you) a crap shoot as far as achieving the sound that turns on your tympanics. Hearing is believing. Now if you don't have the option to listen, fasten your seat belt. Your list? There are going to be oodles more to come. Give a price range, if you want specifics. ML goes into the stratosphere $$ wise, as do many of the brands you mentioned. If you're only interested in impressing your audio friends, this will be easy to make recommendations. Now, if you're intested in sound?-- (just a little subjective) There's as many opinions as brands. good luck. You're going to need it.. :)
It is hard to shop like that because, as high end cars are a finished complete product, the amp is just one piece of the puzzle and being top shelf alone does not mean it will perform good. I have heard very expensive amps and speakers sound terrible together (Lexicon and B&W) Synergy is just as important as the product itself. Some gear, no matter how expensive, just does not sound right.

If you have the set of speakers that you are set on keeping, that do everything you think is right, try testing different amps until you find the one that works the best. Speakers can be forward, laid back, image tall, short, focused wide, laid back, bright etc... you need to find the amp that will match your speakers signiture the best. Be patient and it will come. What type of speakers are you using?
Steel
Pawlowski, tell us what you really think.
But to try to answer, if I had unlimited funds to spend on audio gear, which I don't, and wanted to buy a show piece amp I'd go for the Rowland Concerto integrated amp. That amp is just sexy.
The sad part is Shsu isn't the only one that buys gear this way. There are many that only look at certain brands ..how it sounds comes second! LOL

This IMHO is ridiculous. Those IMO are want to be audiophiles or music lovers. The foundation of this hobby is listening. If you can't do that.. no need to bother with the rest.

As one poster has said "good luck"..cuz you're sure going to need it brother!