ARC Ref 3: Tung-Sol 6550 in power supply?

I have sourced a new production Tungsol 6550 from The Tube Store in Hamilton (Ontario); I intend to use it in the power supply of my ARC Ref 3. Has anyone had any experience with the Tung-Sol TS6550 in the Ref 3? Have you compared it with the original Winged "C" SED 6550C shipped by ARC with this
line stage? Preferences? Reasons?

See:
http://thetubestore.com/tungsol6550.html
guidocorona
Oneobgyn,

You have tried them all? Really? Which have you tried?
What amazes me is that people spend 10,000 on a preamp and then are offended that the best sounding tubes cost a lot of money. There are some good current production tubes but I do not know of one example where they are not bested by NOS. In most cases the disparity is huge. Elberoth, when you try that NOS Tung Sol, let us know how you liked it.

Bart
Posbwp555 - I think that the problem with Ref 3 - and all other components build around 6H30 tube for that matter - is the range of available alternatives is extremly limited. AFAIK there is only one NOS tube you can try - the mil spec 6H30 DR tube from the late 80s/early 90s.

There is a wider selection of NOS 6550s - you can get TungSol, GE - but that tube (single) is only used in Ref 3 power supply, so its impact may be somehow limited.

Yesterday, I have played with the quartet of DRs in my Ref 110 power amp. They improved HF extension, soundstage depth and allowed to hear more of the spatial clues. The improvement was not dramatic by any means - more like power cord upgrade, but it was worthwile nonetheless and I'm looking forward to try them in my Ref 3 as well (hopefully today).
Posbwp555

If you are so correct how is it that all of us here who own this preamp ( I assume you don't)have done some tube rolling and come back to the stock ARC 6550C

And BTW, why haven't you answered my question about using a KT88 instead of a 6550? I believe you talk the talk but you don't walk the walk. I have asked this question several times in this thread and all you do is try to show how knowledgeable you are in NOS tubes. You obviously both don't know and presumably have not ventured out and tried a KT88....have you?
Elberoth,

The PS tubes have a dramatic imfluence on the sound. I agree with you about the 6H30, it is a shame it was used.
ARC has produced a well balanced sound with it though. I don't know if I am correct or not Oneobgyn. I do not own the ARC (as previously stated). I heard it at a friends house and compared it to my Ming DA (as previously stated).
We were going to swap pres for a month but he decided to sell his ARC and it sold as soon as he posted it. I guess
you haven't really rolled "them all" or you would have stated which ones you tried. If you think the sound you have with the stock tubes is as good as it can be, then don't try anything else. You should not discourage others from experimenting. It is the people that try things that advance the hobby. You should also bear in mind that because you in your system with yours ears think that rolling tubes in this pre is pointless, others with different systems and tastes may conclude otherwise.
By the way, what 20,000 hour tubes are you using? That is laughable.

Bart
Bart, if you have some experience with tube rolling for Ref 3 that we have not covered yet, please enlighten us. G. Ref 3