Opinions on Wyred 4 Sound ICE amps

These are somewhat new and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these high powered amps. Specifically if they are a good choice for Magnepans.

Thanks
koestner
I have only read that all modules are fed from the PFC-1 (2 pcs 501 monoblocks and the internal Capri (pre)..
From what i were told, the PFC-1 uses incoming AC, pumps it up to 385v DC, further feeding the modules (Continuum 500 only).
There are more to this, which i do not know how to write in English sadly.
I understand it very well though, but to go on here writing i could not as i know not how to explain.
I have a friend who is well understood in audio-schematics and electrical in general.
He explained, but is no JRDG dealer or user.
There are advantages which obviously is known, even for W4S resellers (i've talked to one without mentioning name)
But doubt is always wise. It proves one wishes to understand. I still do not claim anything is equalizes a certain value/ asking price.
Most things are very much too high priced when it comes down to audio.
An example of this and has really nothing to do with this thread, but anyway!
I was at a demo yesterday. For a system, mainly a newly released loudspeaker.
Price, near double of my own. Better, no!
On the contrary!
If they've been, i had gladly admitted so and released a sneak preview.
This is weird (pricing) , but seems to work in audio out of some reason.
W4S is very good priced. Who could or can argue!?
I have owned them, and can say they might ask a bit more tweaking (which also cost) but it is very nice pieces and they are very nice people and stand fully behind their products.

I'm jumping a bit but again. The C-500 is substanitailly better looking than W4S units and has another feel and slightly different way of doing things (music).
I was actually told, you might need to jumps separates W4S to get closer to C-500.
Again, value (asking price) is subjective.
But i could easily bow head when the Ref series arrives from W4S. I think they could be a potential blast and fact is. Before the C-500 i was waiting for them.
So, the Ref has been postponed. I guess due to the dacs etc....
PFC? Still no answers. I suspect it is a solution in search of a problem. Again, what is corrected? amp power supply to plug? OR speaker to amp? /both are reactive loads. Make the speaker look like a resistor to the house current?

The problem remains that speaker designers will ship some wacky speaker with a 2.1 ohm minama at 65degrees. No problem there, right? HEH!

large companies, mainly manufacturing, can and will use PFC if the entire plant has a lower PF, say .9 or below. The reason? Power companies will bill you a surcharge for a low PF load. I'm talking 6 digit electric bills...in $.

As for ICE amps in all the flavors? I suspect they have more in common than stellar differences. The urge of any company searching for business is to come up with a 'unique selling point', made more difficult by using the SAME module as a dozen other manufacturers. So you change a few things. PS caps? Better connectors? Just so you can claim such a 'unique selling point'.

I'm going to T.H.E. Show in Newport in a few minutes and may have an opportunity to listen to many 'd' offerings. I expect most amp differences to be SWAMPED by speaker differences.

Audio Pricing is all about PERCEIVED value. Why else would the constant question be 'What is the best XXX for 2000$'? If they (new buyer) didn't think their was a direct coorelation between money and sound quality, why ask? This of course, isn't true, as a rule. You also hear stuff like 'product XXX competes against gear 3x its price'.
As mentioned, i could not answer on the PFC. Have you looked at JRDGs product sheet?
Anyway, i measured my speakers at minimum 6.5 ohm at the high (tweeter/mid) and 8.5 ohms at low (bass). In my setup the C-500 offers a smoother top but still with slightly enhanced dynamical contrast and resolution than my W4S STI-1000 with PS Audio high end fuses. The W4S sounded slightly more forced and also a bit sharper in the top. I prefer the C-500.
I won't argue, i could easily use a combo of pre/pow (none class D).
I did however find this unit neat and i need not use more inputs than 1, lesser cables etc.
C-500 work very well with Wadia 381. As a system, i think it performs well. I have been at a few private demos. All system setups has been more expensive than mine, but neither offered any all in all improvements to my sadness.
I made the plunge and purchased the Wyred4Sound preamp and SX1000 from Underwood HiFi. They arrived last week well packaged in double boxes with no UPS shipping damage.

Everything worked and the only hot flash of "what is wrong?" occurred when I started the CD player and no sound came out of the speakers (the volume was turned to zero!).

My initial impressions are compared to a Krell S300i integrated amp with 300 wpc/4 ohms and about 300 hours on it.

Generally speaking, to my ear, the Wyred4Sound and the Krell have a similar overall sound. The difference is not as dramatic as when I upgraded to the Krell from a McIntosh MA6300 integrated at 160wpc/4ohm. The change there was very dramatic as the Mac was definitely warmer sounding but with a lot less dynamics than the Krell.

Right out of the box, I can hear more detail with the Wyred4Sound. For example, individual instruments are easier to hear in a mix. Also, it is easier to recognize individual voices in a multipart vocal harmony.

The soundstage is improved. It is wider and better front to back. I often felt while listening to the Krell that the lead vocal and the drums were coming from the same place. With the Wyred4Sound, there is now a separation with vocals in the front and drums in the back.

Also, on the second day of listening, I cranked the volume to 40 which is well below 60 to stay in passive mode on the preamp. I immediately proved the old adage that Maggies love power. The fullness of the sound improved and there was no thought that the Maggies might sound thin as I sometimes had with the Krell. It was louder than what the Krell could play before it overheated and shutdown into protective mode.

I am not sure what I am hearing regarding the bass. It seems to be fuller, but with perhaps a bit less slam. Krell is noted for their bass so this may take some time to determine if there is an improvement.

The edges of the treble with the new Wyrd4Sound are a bit sharp and initially it is not as musical as the Krell. I hope (expect!) these to improve with time.

The W4S owner manuals advise that there will be a major improvement after about 100 hours of operation and another level of improvement at about 200 hours of operation.

ALSO, the manuals make a point to advise strongly that the power should be disconnected before anything is plugged into or out of the amp and pre amp.

So...my initial thought is that I have made a positive change but I wonder about the bass.
Not sure how Wyred compares to Bel Canto in regards to bass, but I recall when I first listened to the BC ref1000m's, I recall wondering where the bass went in that it really sounded like there was virtually none at first. Once my ears adjusted, I realized that it was there in spades like never before, but had a totally different dimensionality to it, mostly in regards to soundstage depth and imaging, and also cleaner and more tightly damped with much greater nuance.

It's pretty much been bass heaven ever since.