Is there a very nice SS amp around 1K?

Hello

I'm looking for thoughts on solid state amps around $1000 which have XLR & SE inputs... around 100 wpc or so.. and a balanced presentation.... and not real old.

Is there such a thing?

Usage is likely 50/50 music/HT... and as a back up amp for main system. So long as it doesn't have tendencies which stick out like a sore thumb, and is something one can listen to for extended periods... that'll probably do just fine.

Ideas?
blindjim
Blindjim- Hafler Corp was purchased by Rockford Group some years back. They do still support the products that they've built(like the 9505), but- not the earlier stuff. Excellent service and warranty on repairs.
Don't forget Forte 4A. Does not meet your 100 wpc spec, but it does pump out 100 wpc @ 4ohm and runs in pure class A. Very sweet sounding, I like it better than McCormack and most think McCormack DNA is better than Odyssey.
I'm glad you are enjoying the RSA Haley Jim, it does not surprise me that you chose it. It's quite a bargain, IMHO.

As for the amp, I recommended the Odyssey Stratos because of ALL of the criteria you originally listed. SS, around $1K, XLR & RCA inputs, 100 wpc, balanced presentation AND not real old.

I agree with Semi, that my first choice under $1K would be the Forte 4A. Great amp! Can be had for much less than $1K, and will outperform many much more expensive amps. However, it only puts out 50 wpc into 8 ohms, and it IS relatively old. McCormack and BAT are both very good SS amps too, but again, not very new for a kilobuck.

Enter the Odyssey Stratos, this amp competes with many MUCH more expensive amps, and those that tend to 'snub' it do so because it does not cost enough. Search the archives, here and at Audio Asylum. You'll find that this amp will best fit ALL of your original criteria. Should your criteria change, your options may too. However, the Stratos DOES show that there is very good SS for around $1K, IMHO.

Cheers,
John