how long should you use tubes in an amp?

As tubes age and they lose power, is the degradation linear? My Mesa Baron uses 6 tubes per channel, and the speakers are efficient so I never use more than 10% of the output power, even on peaks, even in all-triode mode - and most of the time, it's far less. The Baron has meters, so it's easy to see this (in fact, it has switches to reduce the meter range by a factor of ten - they would never budge, otherwise). So if no more than a fraction of the full output power of the tubes is required, why not use them well past their "normal" lifespan - and just turn up the volume? Do the tubes lose some dynamic or other capability, or is it just a "smooth" decline in power?
128x128lloydc
Roger Modjeski, Isn't he the guy that sells tubes as well as some fine amps.

Interestingly, Randall Smith of Mesa Engineering who designed the Baron sez on page 18 of the Barons manual (I happen to own a Baron by the way) "Based on our experience with guitar amplifiers, you can expect 2 to 4 years of service before noticing any performance degredation. If none is noticed, and the Baron still sounds great, you may keep right on enjoying the original set with no worries. Often tubes will are have a warmer, mellower sound than fresh ones needing to break in. Should you think its time to replace........"

Randall seemed far more willing to be subjective in guaging the need for tube replacement.

Lets see, if I wanted advise about tube life in a Baron amp, who would I talk to. Hummmm, tough question!
I get the feeling that output tubes keep going for quite a while, longer than expected, and when they go bad it is obvious. That is, while they do "decay" gradually, perfomance stays fairly strong till the reach the "breaking" point.