Help me make sense of this.

I have quad 405-II amp which is 100 watts per channel.
When I hooked up Yamaha RX-V3300 home theatre receiver, in stereo mode, wow I loved the sound !

Yamaha is 130 watts per channel. Does anyone know how much power I am getting in stereo mode?

Is Yamaha big current amp?

Does that mean I like powerful amps?

I didn't think surround receivers did music as well as a dedicated 2 channel amp ( especially seperates ) - so, I was pleasantly surprised at how music sounded through Yamaha - or has Yamaha improved their surround receivers to sound good in music as well ( in stereo )?

I want to know the answer, so that I might look for a more powerful amp in the future.

This question got me all excited, and I am puzzled...
Some one please shed some light on this - and I will appreciate that a lot.

It will influence the direction my next system will take.

gonglee3
I didn't think surround receivers did music as well as a dedicated 2 channel amp ( especially seperates )

Well built receivers can sound just as good as separates at modest power levels up to 150 watts - after all they are built of similar parts - you lose some flexibility though. Massive power supplies and huge heat sinks require lots of space - so monster amps tend to be separates.
The difference between 100 and 130 watts (measured the same
way) in a real world listening environment is virtually inaudible. I doubt it is a power or current difference you are hearing. I suspect you prefer the presentation of the receiver over the Quad.
I am suspecting Yamaha concentrates 6 ch powers to 2, thus putting out more than 130watts per ch. Am I wrong?