Preamp into Quad Actives?

Perhaps I should not look further than my Rotel RC1070 pre running into my Quad 12L active speakers, but I'd like to try a tube pre and/or balanced cables. Budget would be under $1,500. Anyone have opinions about this combination?
ktennis
Ktennis,

How many sources are you using? There are some GREAT inexpensive single input tube pres available.

BTW, I think I've read that the balanced input to the Quad actives is the better choice for sonics. I don't have a balanced pre-amp or source, so I haven't tried my 12L Actives using the balanced input yet, but if I buy a new pre-amp I'm certainly going to look for one with fully balanced outputs too.

Enjoy,

TIC
Post removed 
BTW, my typical source for my Quad 12L Actives is an Oppo 970H with level 2 mods from EVS (tweakaudio.com). It has built-in remote controlled variable volume control (as do all Oppos) and it is a nice solution with the Quad 12L actives. The Oppo supports CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD, HDCD and pretty much all other forms of silver disc, except Blue-Ray/HD-DVD.

So, I currently don't have any pre-amp in that system, but I may add one so I can connect my new Basis Turntable.

Enjoy,

TIC