Ayre MR-X monoblocks - how good are they??

I will say off the bite here, tube monoblocks are my prerefence.
However always in the state of mind to go no maintenance no worry SS.

How good is the MRX compared to it's up to 25K competition.

Is it tubelike and nice to poor recordings as Charles Hansen seems to like to advertise. " It took 4 mnths ot voicing to get crap modern cordings to listenable and enjoyable"
If any AMP does this consistently I want it.

do you really nee balancedc connections to make it sound best.

ie is balanbced cardas cross b etter than SE Valhalla??
downunder
At least get the name right, it's MX-R. In any case, it's as good as Charles says it is.
Looking at your system, I think your can look at other areas to improve the sound first. Phono stage first, rack second, amp third. I really like Einstein phono, rumor has it ARC PH7 is also very good. I like GP Monaco stand, but I am sure there are other good stands for less. If you don't mind owning tube amps again, I find BAT 150SE hard to beat.

I was also looking at Ayre MX-R, and KX-R in fact. I just listened to them again yesterday driving Avalon Isis. Again, I was not impressed like my last audition when MX-R was paird with Spectral top pre amp. It was cold and sterile, very hi-fi soudning. I will arrange to listen to both in my own system to better assess the sound, but my reference is BAT 150SE and SF Line 3SE+, both are highly musical, detail, and throw a big, wide, deep soundstage.

As good as solid state is, I am afraid tube still rules.
I'm not quite sure how comparing the Ayre combo at a dealer versus your home system with completely different components qualifies you to make any determination one way or another. It would have been much more useful if you waited for an in-home audition to at least feign fairness before making proclamations.
Hello Semi-

Which dealer did you get to listen to the Ayre/Avalon combo at?

Bianci