Class D amp with Tube Preamp Combo?

Have you ever tried a good class D/T amp & tube preamp combination? I have read their can be some occasional problems matching these together?

I was thinking of going this way to get the drive, clarity and efficiency of the switching amp combined with the warmth and full body of the tube pre amp.

What setup are you using?

My first post by the way! I have been reading this forum for the last two weeks learning about audio and what to buy for my first serious system.
jaffa_777
I have a Modwright tube pre-amp and Bel Canto M300s driving Von Schweikert VR-4. The IC runs are 15 feet. I have had no problems whatsoever. I contacted both Bel Canto and Dan Wright prior to purchase and they both assurred me that it would be fine. They were correct. It is a beautiful combination and trouble-free. You do have to match the impedances. Contact the manufacturer if in doubt. For instance, Upscale Audio did not recommend the Prima Luna tube pre-amp with the M300s because of impedance mis-matching. Good luck
If you can get a good impedence match, use balanced IC runs and the amps have good RFI/EMI rejection, then it can work very nicely. The Bel Canto is one good choice. Also look at Jeff Rowland Design Group and Spectral for amps that do all the above.

Dave
I have the Supratek Chenin tube preamp (modified to use 7193 tubes instead of 6SN7) running into the Gilmore Raven Class D amp, powering Zu Druids/Mini Method sub. I think it sounds great! Crisp, clean and very powerful.
yes, i going the Bel Canto s300 to power a set of PMC TB2's. I now just have to find the pre-amp. I need 220-240v though where I live. 2 line outs as well so I can run an active sub too in the future.

I have been researching, Rogue, second hand Conrad Johnson, some good things said about Juicy Peach (funny name) I like the look of the Modwright company, are they expensive. There are so many company's I have never heard of. Where does the worm hole stop?
Hi Dave, did you mean Spectron digital amps rather than Spectral? Spectron Mus 3 is a fabulous switching amp!

In answer to the original question, I have heard several times Bel Canto Evo 2 mk.2 monoblocks driven by a VTL 6.5 in balanced mode. . . and the combination was quite delicious, while exhibiting no audible problems.

NuForce Sig V9 SE monos worked very well with my ARC Ref 3 in balanced mode. . . large sound stage, excellent imaging and extension. . . very graceful really!

I have also driven a Rowland 312 digital amp in balanced mode with an Audio Research Ref 3, and the result was excellent.

Just one recommendation. . . as digital (or switching) amps are usually true balanced designs, it may be advisable to drive them with balanced line stages to maximize results.

Guido