How much power is to much power?

When is an amp overkill for a speaker? More specifically, I have 91db speakers and I'm considering two SS amps, one 140 watts and the other 200 watts. Are they both too much? Is it too much simply because you're paying for extra power but don't need it, or because it's a detriment to the overall system sound?

Thanks.
128x128jtnicolosi
I'm definitely not the most estuste audiophile, or even really an audiophile, but to me wattage is somewhat like horsepower in a car. You don't need a lot of horsepower to get to the speed limit, but most of us still would like to have some extra if we need to push it. I'd rather have and not need, than need and not have.
09-13-08: Shadorne said:
"For your current speakers 140 is far enough - same if you upgrade. Frankly if you need more SPL then get a bigger speaker (three way) rather than overdrive a small one - your little speaker will be mostly distorting when driven hard."

More power is not about SPLs, it's about control of the drivers, particularly in the bass. Listen and decide for yourself.

Dave
For some audiophiles and some politicians:
To much power you say?
"No such thing" they answer
There's something to be said for effortless sound....1800 watts a side. But it is a two edged sword....you can waste a tweeter. I know...years ago I played Copland's "theme for a common man". Cranked er up and the gong toasted a tweeter....learned my lesson.....Kinda like jumping on a Porsche turbo with the HP on the lurk....bad idea.
Read carefully and keep it as your guide:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/0708/index.html

All The Best
Rafael