Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
By the way, on eother negative about Carver holography, for those interested, is that you have to have the speakers set up just right and listen from just the right position to hear it.

One of the reason I went with Ohm speakers is that I hated that aspect of the Carver holography to achieve the desired effect. With the Ohms, you get equally good holographic imaging as I described above from a wide range of listening locations in the room. I do not think this is possible in general with highly directional speakers (I've never experienced it) but I could be wrong.
How many owners and why not more?

Only a couple posting here; one being a pom pom waving cheerleader.

With products in this hobby, performance and sales are very closely associated in most cases IMO. One might surmise the reports we read here are, for whatever reason(s) embellished to some extent. Owners have an inherent bias with a financial investment. Afterall, how many audiophiles after just dropping $5K or $10K have the stones to say "This thing really sucks; I've been hosed".

Very few indeed.

On the upside you can use the doppler thingamajig to forecast weather.
Atmasphere,

My system is currently highly transparent and holographic, I would say.

But I've thought about trying a tube pre-amp with my SS amp to get more of the sound of tube harmonics going, which I tend to like as well when I hear a good tube-amp'ed system.

Do you think a hybrid approach like this is likely to result in a more compromised, middle of the road sound, or could it add a touch of tube-like harmonics in a manner that benefits without negatively impacting the good things already happening?

Tube power amps will not work well with my Ohm speakers I am convinced due to their low efficiency and somewhat difficult load, so that is not an option for me.
Mapman, my experience has been that anywhere you can involve tubes in audio will help, as long as the tubes are in a competent circuit :)
In my experience, there's very little difference in the holographic abilities of tubes vs. SS. Listen for yourself and decide for yourself without regard to one technology vs. the other. Listen for the overall presentation, with your speakers, preferable in your room. When you find well designed equipment the differences will melt away.

Dave