Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Amazing that an ego attached to a design such as the original H-Cat would attest to a possible flaw and then decide to publish a fix. I think thats great! Live and learn and learn a whole lot more. So many designers and manufacturers never fess up to their mis calculations in design or production. I think this is a progressive reality of the ongoing design process and not a flaw but a tribute to the designer/builder. Tom
Theaudiotweak,

I agree with the merits of fessing up to a mistake, but given the apparent severity in this particular case, what other option is there?

At least it sounds like it has a chance to work now if adjusted properly.

I guess the only way to know would be to listen and compare.

Still not sure though how this is better in practice than negative feedback? Sounds like a tricky proposition to get right, certainly harder than providing an adjustment.

Need to give it some more thought.....
>>Need to give it some more thought.....<<

Take your time. Don't be an AudioDweeb like some others here.

The 8th or 9th revision should be ready if you wait a bit.

Personally I'm waiting for the Century (100th revision) Edition.
There was a tube amp some years back that had a front panel selector to adjust the amount of negative feedback.Click..click click. The reviewer a friend and co worker of mine felt that the 6db selction point of feedback was to his preference. His thoughts were that his choice was a combination of texture, speed and detail. Zero feedback was to fat and slow to much feedback was thin and slightly bright. I have not heard the H-Cat..but negative feedback is not in the brew here. Tom
Atmasphere, the Doppler shift is not in the recording it is in the electronics that you are using to recreate it.

The WTC afforded matching the H-Cat P12R line stage with other electronics. Frankly I wish it were auto-focusing like second generation cameras, but like cameras this is not to say that the properly focus image is not worth it.

Theaudiotweak, arguing with Audiofool is like conversing with an epileptic in a seizure.