Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Doppler effect ? What is moving ? Were the instruments and musicians on wheels during the recording or were the mikes? Of is it during the playback - I picture speakers on motorized wheels careening first toward the listener and then shifting into reverse.
" the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?"

It is not artifact. On the contrary. In Spectron stereo there is good 3D representation. In fully balanced monoblock mode where distortions are almost zero, every owner and every reviewer report uncanny holographic imaging.

Simple

All The Best
Rafael
I get the feeling that a lot of these holography systems that have appeared over the years are aimed at those who have a lack of resolution in their systems- and can stand listening to an effect, rather than the music.

FWIW: It is easy to add holographic effects or wide soundstage by using a flanger or adjusting phase between two channels - guitar folks know this all to well - there are literally hundreds of sound effects. Another effect is reverb circuitry like Harmonix

There is a science behind these effects too but it is too much to go into here. I share Ralph's opinion though - I prefer not to add extra effects to the CD's I play - even if some of it on some tracks can be pleasing addition/change.
Tbg, sorry, but, **there is no doppler effect in an amplifier**! If a designer of a 'holographic processor' tells you something like that, turn around and run as hard as you can!

You have propagation delay in any amplifier circuit but that does not create doppler effect, in either an amplifier or a preamp. It is possible to get some in a loudspeaker driver that has wide range and high excursion, but that can be dealt with by proper speaker design. IOW, if 'doppler effect' is really the reason, its at best a fix for a problem that does not exist. At worst--? Certainly such a 'process' can be considered a distortion in the overall output...