Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Atmasphere,

Yes I am familiar with Propagation Delay and all the classic textbook terms that pertain to amplifiers.
None of which was helpful in troubleshooting the real issues facing a relatively simple task of making a small signal larger.

I built my first TUBE amplifier in 1969 :)

Yes - I intend to answer your questions

Roger
Just an end users comment here: I own Ralph's gear and to my and my fiends ears, he has solved the "the real issues facing...(the) task of making a small signal larger" to all our great musical satisfaction. I am not familiar with the A- or whatever CAT, so I cannot form an opinion if it is really that break-through which some make it out to be. Generally however, good old Bill does not use his acid squirt gun without good reason, but what do I know. I know however, and that for certain, that in a well set up rig, volume and pitch do not have anything to do with each other. My better half and I are blessed, or cursed if you like, with a "the absolute ear", she especially would notice the tiniest aberration in pitch, in fact I use her to set up my TT and I would have noticed something like that in all those long decades of listening to music at home.
Alright Roger, how do you square:

Yes I am familiar with Propagation Delay and all the classic textbook terms that pertain to amplifiers.
None of which was helpful in troubleshooting the real issues facing a relatively simple task of making a small signal larger.

with

What I am referring to with velocity is the lateral or horizontal speed of the circuit. IOW my interest is in the manner that a given input signal travels from input to output and more importantly is it (the velocity) constant.

Not to put words in your mouth, but it looks very much to me from the second comment (which is a description of Propagation Delay) that you are contradicting the first. Am I missing something?

I'm really interested in seeing the answers to my questions!
Atmasphere,

The misunderstanding is (and this is my fault) when I refer to the speed of the amplifier – I meant its velocity. IOW the speed that a signal travels through a circuit. Propagation delay refers to the amount of time the signal spends in the circuit and while it is directly related to the speed of the traveling signal – it can only indicate the AVERAGE speed since the comparison is base on the time it took a signal to enter and exit the circuit. What happens in-between is not monitored - it is assumed.

This is the area of interest to me.

As far your question..
“For a given change in gain, say 20 db, how much change in pitch will be measured?”

This is the same misunderstanding that Detlof has with his statement…
“I know however, and that for certain, that in a well set up rig, volume and pitch do not have anything to do with each other.”

Please read slowly --- It is not the volume setting you are listing at that affects the pitch. It is the CHANGE in volume that affects the pitch. Let me reverse that statement. The pitch will change as you increase or decrease the volume. Once you take you hand off the volume control, the pitch is the same no matter where you left to volume.

Hope this helps :)

Roger
Musicnoise,

Please accept my apologies. I certainly thought you were aware that I am the designer of H-CAT.
There are many references within this thread that may have indicated this earlier.
When this topic of holographic imaging started – I was very interested to read about the variety of opinions and experiences of audiophiles. After all, to me this was something that I have studied for many years. The results of my work I am willing to share with those who are interested.

Regards,

Roger