Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Shadorne,

Your statement, "Lets assume that a 200 Hz bass note is modulating the 1000 Hz note."
Followed by my line – “This will cause a 1khz tone to shift up to 1005 hz”
Makes no sense – I was referring to an instantaneous shift in velocity of 1:1.005

Roger
I was referring to an instantaneous shift in velocity of 1:1.005

Well you'll have to be more precise then if you want to help me understand. What you have described is just too vague for me to follow which is why I gave a specifc example with specific frequencies with a hypothetical result.

FWIW- We don't hear "instantaneous shifts in velocity" - we hear sound vibrations or oscillations which is why I tried to boil things down to frequencies and power that would result from IMD distortion from two frequencies passing through a non-linear amplifier. (non-linear meaning that the signal gets amplified differently depending on its level)

BTW an "instantaneous shift in velocity" would cause a sharp discontinuity in what is normally a smooth waveform - it would necessarily contain lots of high frequencies and not 1005 Hz. This is a fundamental fact from mathematics.
Roger, you don't seem interested in answering my questions. Its been a while since I first posted them and you have made a number of posts in the meantime.

So: I don't think you have any intention and that is borne out by your actions.

You have contradicted yourself at nearly every turn, I could pass that off as poor writing skills but re-reading them has brought me to a different conclusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_Razor

The explanation of a circuit that does something, based on a principle that cannot be measured in any way by any type of test or laboratory equipment, cannot be quantified, verified, with no mathematical relation or formula, cannot be heard and can only be explained yet contradicted by the designer of the circuit is a complex explanation.

The simple (correct) explanation is a circuit that either does nothing, or does something, and the principle behind it is simple (for example, a tonal coloration), and whatever it is really doing is something that the designer refuses to divulge or is clueless about.

IMO we are dealing with a case of the Emperor's New Clothes. IOW I'm with Tvad on this one.