Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
This is fun, I agree with both Shadrone and Tvad.

In this forum the 'emporer's new clothes' is inappropriate, I think. It's more the the 'emporer's old clothes'. If you've been here for any time you've seen it before, ad infinitum, ad nauseam. It's just that some claims are so far fetched that they become self defeating. Personally I enjoy threads on reasonance control with components and room acoustics. Some solid concerns taken to an absurd level just to sell products to the eager audiophile with a real or percieved problem. Generic observations and advise given to cure a very specific problem which require equally specific solutions. Almost as much as the Sunday funnies.

But that is probably half the fun of the hobby. Playing with tweaks and ancillary equipment. If folks want to believe these claims and recieve benefits from these beliefs, good on them. Let them go in peace. They could actually be right! :-)

But when a manufacturer/designer comes forward to explain or defend his product he does so at his own peril. Roger Paul is not the first one, nor will he be the last. At least when designers of 'mystical' equipment do come forward and fail to provide an intelligent explaination of their product's function, they do much to remove all doubt from inquiring minds about the likelihood that the product is going to be found to be metorious. And if the designer can't adequately explain his design and it's the audience's dullness that is responsible, well - what did he expect to find here anyways, a bunch of astrophysicists (rocket scientists)? :-)
Newbee: nice rational statement. By the way, I noticed on your system page that you don't list your cables, cable lifters, power cord, outlets, or interconnects. Does this provide a window into your views on the great necessity of spending thousands of dollars on these items? By the way, I have Home Depot stock outlets, the power cords that came with my equipment, and Belden wire making up my cables. I have no cable lifters to keep the speaker wire off the floor although I am seeking to hire some if they work cheap and don't need health benefits.
“And if the designer can't adequately explain his design and it's the audience's dullness that is responsible, well - what did he expect to find here anyways, a bunch of astrophysicists (rocket scientists)? “

Newbee,

You know sometimes it may be detrimental to be an actual rocket scientist and trying to solve a problem.
Edison handed off the task of figuring out the volume of air space inside his new spherical light bulb to someone who would work at great length with all the formulas and mathematics necessary to determine the answer. After a while Edison simply picked up the light bulb and turned it upside-down in a container of water. The amount of displaced water was equal to the volume of air space. Problem solved. Wow – was this man a genius? No just using common sense.

Remember gravity was here way before Isaac Newton pointed it out in the 1600’s (even though Newton's postulate of an invisible force able to act over vast distances led to him being criticized for introducing "occult agencies" into science.) Luckily it all worked out.

Atmasphere,

I promise I will try to address you questions in a manor that will be satisfactory to you.

Roger
Is there a system out there that can be measured in such a manner as to quantify exactly how it sounds?

Can systems be ranked accordingly on how good they sound based solely on measurements?

Can anybody explain to me how a $1000 power cord works differently/better than a $20 one made out of teh same stuff?

I'd say a many parts of high end audio is more based on faith and beliefs more so than measurements.
Musicnoise, I didn't choose to list stuff I can't endorse beyond its application to my system and my sensitivities/sensibilities. So I took a pass on all wires and tweaks. Far too subjective for me. :-)

For my listed stuff I can give you a reasonable description of how it sounds to me heard with associated components, including tubes, with multiple speakers and electronics, and most certainly over my Bolero's the only thing I really prize. But wires and tweaks is just too too much. Hint - George designed most, but not all, of it.

Oh, BTW, I can indorse for the atheist heavy guage Belden PC's and Canare 4s11 speaker cable. Nothing esoteric, SOTA, or expensive there. Just great benchmark stuff for modest systems. Oh, one more thing, I use Trolls for cable risers. Keeps them out of mischief. :-)