Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Is there a system out there that can be measured in such a manner as to quantify exactly how it sounds?

Can systems be ranked accordingly on how good they sound based solely on measurements?

Can anybody explain to me how a $1000 power cord works differently/better than a $20 one made out of teh same stuff?

I'd say a many parts of high end audio is more based on faith and beliefs more so than measurements.
Musicnoise, I didn't choose to list stuff I can't endorse beyond its application to my system and my sensitivities/sensibilities. So I took a pass on all wires and tweaks. Far too subjective for me. :-)

For my listed stuff I can give you a reasonable description of how it sounds to me heard with associated components, including tubes, with multiple speakers and electronics, and most certainly over my Bolero's the only thing I really prize. But wires and tweaks is just too too much. Hint - George designed most, but not all, of it.

Oh, BTW, I can indorse for the atheist heavy guage Belden PC's and Canare 4s11 speaker cable. Nothing esoteric, SOTA, or expensive there. Just great benchmark stuff for modest systems. Oh, one more thing, I use Trolls for cable risers. Keeps them out of mischief. :-)
Atmasphere,

Ok – here we go – lets start with your first comment. I will try to use straight simple answers.

“09-26-08: Atmasphere
Roger, 1/100th of a db? Really? So if the change in pitch cannot be detected by **musical instrument** tuning devices (which are quite sensitive, much more so that any frequency counter I've seen), it follows that it cannot also be heard by the human ear, but you say it can. How do you square your apparently contradictory statement?”

Do you realize what you have just concluded?
If you can’t measure it – you can’t hear it.
Any audiophile worth his salt will tell you that measurements and sound don’t always add up.
You say that if it cannot be detected by [equipment] then… “it follows that it cannot also be heard by the human ear”

Do you really believe that?
You would rank the human ear made by God in the same category as man-made test equipment?

NEXT -
”The **amplifier** is changing gain? What is the mechanism for that?”

It’s called distortion. Simple non-linearity’s that cause the amplification factor to deviate from a constant ideal value.

1) How have you measured this effect to prove or disprove your hypothesis and add what outcomes does it suggest?

I don’t.

2)Given that a change in the speed of the amplifier has produce no measurable result, how were you able to test your hypothesis?

I listen.

3)For a given change in gain, say 20 db, over a period of 1/2 second how much change in pitch will be measured?

Can’t measure it remember. But I do use a simple binary logic.
Smeared = bad
Clear = good

4)How do you measure Doppler effect in an amplifier?

Sorry - Still can’t measure it.

5)What is the unit of measure?

Fractions of a degree / fractions of a db.

6)What test equipment do you use for this?

Nobody makes equipment to test this.

7)How much DE is reduced by your circuit?

Significant amounts – verifiable via listening.

8)IME again, I have found that the measurable propagation delay in an amplifier circuit does not change with the input level. How do you square this with your hypothesis?

Actually with a fixed or constant input level applied the propagation delay will vary as signal goes through its 360 range. What your are reading with your test equipment is a worthless average.

9)Does your hypothesis support exceptions or does it predict that the experience of perspective is universal?

Changes in perspective were not my intention regarding the concert hall analogy – just the relative distance from the stage based on the 3 seating positions and the necessity to move between them to alter the pitch.

10)Since when listening I am usually seated, why exactly should I care if there is Doppler effect if I move?

You will not hear / notice Doppler by simply moving around in your living room unless you are running VERY fast. Again the reference to the concert hall was to illustrate changes in gain you would implement via your volume control (rapidly) the physical equivalent would be a very brief “jump" from seat to seat at which time you would hear a change in pitch. (Doppler).

11)In a real life situation, would you not also experience Doppler?

We experience it all the time.

12)It seems to me that you would want to preserve the Doppler effects of real life music. true/false?

True – the same as you would want to preserve harmonic overtones that originate from the instruments.
--

Hope this has been of some value to you.

Regards,

Roger