Battery Powered Preamps

I notice that the more expensive preamps get within a line, or in general, the more complexity and expense seems ot be applied to the power supply and regualtion; sometimes with the addition of a second box for the power supply.

I conclude power supply is important. If this is so, why not go the simpler route of battery power for pure DC? My Dodd Battery Pre works very well indeed (for context -I've owned CAT, Lamm, ARC, Joule, Placette Active, Atma-sphere (still own), Bent TAP). Am I missing something, or doesn't battery power just make the most sense for a preamp - off the grid and all that? Seem much simpler than most highend approaches, and much less expensive to implement.
pubul57
While I'm not an engineer, i believe you can call the Dodd a minimalist tube design in that it only employees two 6922 variety tubes and, in fact, only one of the twin triodes in each tube is employed at a time. In other words, you could burn the tubes for say 10,000 hours and then swap their positions and go another 10,000 hours. Certainly, this is a cool benefit given the cost of NOS tubes. (Please don't ask me how this works, I'm just referencing what I've read in reviews :).
I don't know enough to fully understand Dgarretson's technical explanation, nor whether Gary Dodd might answer "yes, generally true, but...." I do know the Dodd seems to be a pretty effective implementation of battery power and a whole lot simpler than complex power regulation and power supply I've seen in some of the preamps I've owned before. Since there haven't been many battery powered preamps before, I suspect that either battery technology has improved, or new thinking has found a way to deal with some of the issues Dgarretson raised. If that is the case, it would seem battery power holds a lot of promise compared with our traditonal way of designing preamps.
I have not heard Dodd, and am not suggesting that a minimalistic design can't sound great. Only that battery power restricts the designer in terms of number of tubes and type of tube used.

BBAM has only several active devices inside(low current op amps) which sound good on stock NiMH batteries, but much better on large SLA, both in terms of supple grainlessness across treble & mid and more dynamic scale and bass authority, owing to lower internal resistance and lower noise of SLA. Generally speaking the larger the SLA, the lower its impedance. In this case size matters in terms of transient response, independent of amp-hour capacity.

With lesser battery setups in my system I've heard a detailed & smooth treble & quiet black background, but pale/soft dynamic contrasts and lack of ultimate slam. If this is characteristic of Dodd, it could likely be improved with additional filtering capacitance and/or larger/faster batteries. Anybody at RMAF, please check out the new Roland battery pre and report as to whether strong or weak on these points. The Roland uses std D cell batteries.
I believe that a battery power supply done to the highest standards would be quite expensive in the marketplace.

A friend of mine incorporates heavy duty, fully-regulated rechargeable dual mono DC power supplies to power the preamp he manufactures and the DAC side of his cd player mods. (The batteries in the power supplies are hooked up to the A/C when the system is not in use, and then disconnected to play music.) I believe the batteries are 9 or 12 volts.

For best results, you need a separate power supply for each component. He sells these power supplies to friends for $1400 apiece. I can just imagine what the cost would be if both he and a dealer had to make a market profit on them. Moreover, the batteries are quite heavy.

I don't understand the electronics, so I can't explain what is involved in building the power supplies, or why they are so expensive. But I am sure there are good engineering reasons why a power supply containing regular batteries would not measure up.
I use a Battery powered TRL custom pre-amp. It is a very low gain design which suits my system very well and the sound is amazing.
I have owned many high-end tube and SS designs.
I have not owned one but have heard one extensively and the Reflection Audio OLM -1 battery pwered preamp is fantastic.
So yes, I think when well implemented and synergisitc with other components this is a great way to go.