Do all Passive preamps exhibit this trait

I have a Adcom GFP-750 passive/active preamp which sounds somewhat recessed in the treble region when used in passive mode. It's active mode sounds harsh and fatiguing in the treble but there's certainly more detail and extension. I'm wondering if these traits are symtomatic to varying degrees with all passive preamps compared to active preamps. I love the GFP-750 in passive mode but sometimes I do wish for more extension in the treble region. Does anyone know of a passive preamp that will provide me with this treble extension and at the same time sounds relaxed with no listener fatigue. Thanks.
lornoah
it's a mistake to think that a preamp is not additive or subtractive. since no components are perfect, all are additive and/or subtractive. the colorations of some may be more difficult to detect. after careful listening , i beleiev it is possible to determine the sonic personality of any component.

if you approach component selection with the idea that all have flaws, you will listen until you find that component which complements your sonic preference, without concern for accuracy.
I forgot to mention Dave Slagle's latest DIY passive that Clio09 pointed out. It's based on the same autoformer that John Chapman uses in his current Bent line-up. I absolutely doubt you can do better for $350.
I may have disovered the trouble. For the past two weeks I have been using my Krell 300cd player with single ended interconnects. Previously (for 6 years) I had been using it balanced. With a full-level 1kHz sinewave, the output from the 300cd is 4V from the balanced outputs, 2V from the unbalanced. I'm would say the output is too low unbalanced to make a satisfactory match with this passive preamp.