Overall opinions on Harman Kardon

I've noticed a distinct lack of any conversations regarding HK gear. Is this due to it being unpopular, or simply not common in the US?

I remember auditioning a HK integrated amp a couple of years back (before buying a NAD) and thinking it sounding pretty good.
carl109
i'm a longtime HK fan--their amps have almost always sounded better to me than their peers, perhaps because of their high current designs and minimal reliance on negative feedback. their 70s stuff (730/930 receivers, citation amps) is classic, and after sidney harman re-acquired the company from the japanese in 1985, they resumed making very sounding gear (the late 80s pm665 integrated is especially noteworthy). as others have stated, their quality started declining in the 90s, although much of it still sounds good by mass-market standards. the recent hk 990 seems to be their attempt to re-assert themselves as serious player, and like marty says, it's an exceptional unit.
The HK 990 looks pretty nice. Lots of current delivery and power doubles into 4 ohm in a $2500 integrated? Gotta check that out sometime.
You've probably heard this before, but it all comes down to synergy. let me share a story with you. back in the late 90s, i friend of mine had the legacy focus being pushed by a pair of hk monoblocks. i cant remember the source or the preamp. my system was a denon integrated, a pair of infinity reference 4s (i think) and a denon cd player. huge speakers vs small speakers. 100 watt monoblocks vs an 80 watt integrated. we set up both systems in the same room and a-b'd them. my very modest system, both in size and price, beat the living crap out of his. i have never looked back at hk since for anything. he was so disappointed that he sold the 2 amps the very next day and upgraded to the big nad 280 amp.
synergy works wonders.
Harman Kardon Citation 1 Tube PreAmp, Perhaps one of the very best designed and sounding pre amps to this very day.