"D" amps, general discussion who's 1 and why?

There sure seems to be allot of continued "BUZZ" regarding "D" amps. I am reading more and more SET/Tube users and lovers actually recommending and using them.

So what are your thoughts.
dev
Well, with a name like "Rafael" (the great Italian artist), we'll know that you're more into interpretation than "accuracy." There's nothing wrong with that, BUT, I predict, if you love Atma, then you'll not be happy with Spectron or Rowland.

I'm from the other school, but I know where you're coming from.

Dave
Hi Dob,

yes it was your review I was making reference too.

I have to say when you refer to saying "I know my answer."

I whole heartily agree and we seem to be in the same camp so which is it? of these two fine products Athma-Sphere or Joule-Electra?

My thought is your answer lays with Joule because I have heard from many describing like you have but could be wrong, I have been told that I should be trying their mono blocks.

You should do another review with details of your outcome of the amps and differences you found. I heard a specific person whom allot know (not naming just encase for now) will be joining their team to assist in enhancing their product specifically the new pre-amp, should be interesting indeed.

What speakers are you using currently.

Dcstep, do you feel that the class "D" gear Rowland and Spectron are lacking in offering how Dob put it "the painting by TALANTED artist which can look into the soul of individual."

What are your thoughts of other Rowland gear compared them directly to their class "D" product we are specifically talking about. Do you prefer it over all over other Rowland products and if so why.
Dev asked:

"Dcstep, do you feel that the class "D" gear Rowland and Spectron are lacking in offering how Dob put it "the painting by TALANTED artist which can look into the soul of individual."

What are your thoughts of other Rowland gear compared them directly to their class "D" product we are specifically talking about. Do you prefer it over all over other Rowland products and if so why."

I don't consider the Rowland or Spectron "lacking" in anything. When your sources are excellent, then the musical experience will all the soul that could be desired. Some audiophiles prefer a slightly euphonic delivery. As a musician, I prefer accuracy, which excludes unrealistic hardness or edge.

If you're asking me to compare Rowland to Spectron, I can't say anything further than they're both excellent and of the same philosophy. I've heard them in different systems and liked them both very much. Both are transparent and clear with effortless dynamic and no sonic signature. I have no temptation to move to Spectron, but if I needed more clean, accurate power, then I'd look at the Spectron first.

I'm not sure that I understand the second part of your question. I'm only familiar with Rowland's more recent products, like the Continuum 500, 312, Capri, Critereon, 501, 201 and 102. I've read where some thought that older Rowland products had a slightly "warm" delivery. That's not true of the current crop, IMHO.

Dave
Dcstep, thanks for your response.

Regarding the Rowland gear I was just wondering if you had personally heard any of their earlier designs for example 9Ti mono's and what your thoughts were in comparison to the latest which you answered.

Class "D" product is very interesting, I look forward to personally having a listen to some of these pieces especially the latest designs to see if the improvements change my past listening experiences which I had aprox. a year ago.

Hello Dave: Never make assumptions. I own a pair of Spectrons with all upgrades ($21k retail). Good amps. I heard a lot about your Jeff Rowland ($9k) and I am well familiar with Rowland 312 ($14k) - you probably can add new Bel Canto Ref1000 Mk2 ($6k/pr) but I will wait Kal's review and then I will add it to the list of 1st class - class D amplifiers

...and then I spent a week in Canada and friend of the friend owns Joule-Electra Rite of Passage and big MBL speakers. I spent a large number of hours , almost every day, in his listening room. I will not tell you how accurate was this or inacuracte was that (I am professional cellist) - frankly I did not give a ... I knew I can't stand, I can't leave, I can't stop listening to the music. It was increadibly REALISTIC representation of REAL music. I am like a dog - I can tell you what I hear, I can't explain why (I did not hear euphonic even order or other kind of distortions, sorry)

Joule-Electra's web site is a bit neglected so you have to do your own research..... and you will discover that his "equipment" was reviewed time and time again by Harry Pearson of TAS, David Robonson of Positive Feedback and such, that he has many prestigeous awards etc etc.

So at first I thought that I am insane but now I know that I am only poor. I can't afford big MBL with Rite of Psssage.

I suspect that you want to say that I was hearing effect of MBL. Its true but I heard to these great speakers with so many solid state amps (including MBL) that I know that I heard - I heard "magic" pure and simple "magic".

So, Dave - let us enjoy good amps we own but please let me dream about listening to REAL music or....its SOUL

All The Best
Rafael