"D" amps, general discussion who's 1 and why?

There sure seems to be allot of continued "BUZZ" regarding "D" amps. I am reading more and more SET/Tube users and lovers actually recommending and using them.

So what are your thoughts.
dev
Dear Dev,

I did not see any other "big" speakers. If you can try Joule-Electra (or powerful Athma-Sphere)it could be interesting experience for you. While Joule Electra list Rite of Passage as theirt most power amp (200 watts), they have even more powerful, Destiny - 300 watts per monoblock and as far as I understand they have all specs and looks identical to Rite of Passage but have 4 tubes more..

Vicdamone: "What happens when Kal reviews a product? " Not much, I am afraid - simply I give more weight to the rumors and writings about the product and sometimes I will go to do serious audition myself if I need this type of equipment. I do respect a few reviewers, Kal is one of them.

Dear Snopro. Yes, I fully agree with you. I have now REX by BAT - very good preamp. Simply I expect more from Joule-Electra "Marianne Electra Memorial Edition Preamp"..I will see.

All The Best
Rafael
Seems I found this thread a little late in the game. . . oh well!

In answer to Steidlguitars. . . you are historically correct. It is IMO only in the last couple of years that several class D implementation have left behind some of the idiosyncratic behavior of class D and are in fact exposing the intricacy of harmonic decay in a manner that I deem astonishing. My very preferred devices have already been mentioned here: Rowland 312 and C500, Bel Canto Ref 500/1000 Mk.2 series, recent Spectron Musician 3 implementations.

Coffey is also correct in his cautionary opinion. . . I have listened to the Red Dragon Leviathan twice now at RMAF. . . and I have hardly ever listened to that much intermodulation distortion coming from any system, with amps of any class. I suspect that class D may be no panacea for ensuring quality sound.

G.
I'm still a big fan of PS Audio's HCA-2 especially for what it can be had for at current used prices. It uses an analog power supply (highly desirable and has only two gain stages (no B&O Ice Modules here). It was a Stereophile Class A product when first conceived and trounced Bel Cantos effort at the time. One pro reviewer stated that many digital designs will follow the HCA-2 but they will not have the quality & effort that was afforded this amp.

To the point there is an upgrade targeted for the HCA-2 that invlolves replacing the four input caps with Black Gate capacitors. It has been mentioned in the forums that this upgrade is the most desrable & cost effective for sound improvement. I personally own a HCA-2 with this upgrade and will tell you it sounds spectacular. Extended but refined highs, a gorgeous midrange approaching tube magic and killer bass. Also this upgrade opens up the soundstage and yes I previously owned the stock unit for comparison and other new digital amps.
I’m finally taking the time to put my two pennies on the board. I want to share my discovery with fellow audiophiles in cyberspace.

Not long ago, I purchased Wyred4Sound stereo amplifier (200S – 125 watts output). I have been hearing so many good things about D class amplifiers. I decided to give it a try. After a long research, Wyred4sound caught my attention not only because the company works with PS Audio, but also it is one of premier custom modifications centers in the country, if not the world.

My budget was limited at the time, so I purchased the stereo amp. When the amp finally arrived home double boxed, I could not believe how light and small the amplifier was. The small size was very much welcome after a long time dealing with my 100 pound Krell amp. The primary reason for such small size is the amp’s state of the art ICE technology. The overall feel and quality of parts was well above the amp’s price point.

I was excited to hear what this little amp could do. I popped in a “Cowboy Junky” cd. All I can say is “! WOW!! WOW!! WOW!” I could not believe my ears on how good it sounded right out of the box.

After about 300 hours or so the amp really warmed up. I can safely say that ”the amp gives a tube like sound”, but with a lot more authority. The bass was strong and detailed. Many tube amps lack that authoritative bass. The amp has the speed and resolution of a solid state amplifier that would cost three to four times as much. I really don’t see anyone going wrong with Wyred4Sound amps.

This amp has that special something that most of audiophiles are looking for - its “musicality”.

Do yourself a favor and audition one of Wyred4Sound amps. I assure you, you will not be disappointed. From what I have been told, the more powerful mono amplifiers sound even better.

If you are considering purchasing a class D amplifier take a look at the Wyred 4 Sound amplifiers. Nothing comes close to these amplifiers at the current price.

www.wyred4sound.com

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue39/wyred4sound.htm

Speakers: Usher – 6371
CD Player: Jolida – JD 100 (RCA Tubes)
Preamp: Cary – Tube
Amplifier: Wyred4Sound – 200S – FET – No Op-Amp
Power Cables: Morrow - MAP2
Extra Power Cables: Shunyata - Diamondback
IC: DH Labs – Revelation – Silver Core
Speaker Cable: Clear Day – Silver Core
AC Receptacle: Oyaide SWO-GX
Electricity: Dedicated 20 Amp. Power Line & Ground (16 foot Copper rod)