"D" amps, general discussion who's 1 and why?

There sure seems to be allot of continued "BUZZ" regarding "D" amps. I am reading more and more SET/Tube users and lovers actually recommending and using them.

So what are your thoughts.
dev
I have been a tube guy for a couple of decades but after demoing and then moving to Spectron amps - from stereo to mono block there can never be any doubt I made an improvement in my enjoyment of my rig. Now, there are lots of good SS, Tube and class D amps and similarly lots of overpriced but well hyped but not great gear. For me the bottom line was that the Spectron class D amps removed a veil that my previous tube amps had and also class D amps seem to have the speed and cadence to ensure that all of the signal reaches the speakers at the right time. Hard to define but easier to hear.

There are a bunch of great amps that I would be delighted to have in my system (assuming appropriate synergies) and I could name a short list of SS, Tube and Class D. My point is that circuit design, good board topography, effective procurement and manufacturing can deliver a great product, or not, so the best class D will sound superb and the poorly designed class D will sound like crap and the same goes for tubes, SS etc. etc.

Bel Canto, Rowland, Spectron are all great products.

My rant ends with the principle that system synergy ends up defining the quality of final sound - and most likely a product of electro-mechanical parameters.
"best class D will sound superb and the poorly designed class D will sound like crap and the same goes for tubes, SS etc. etc."

Thank you Radical. . . couldn't have said it more eloquently myself (grins!)
The review of Nuforces Ref 9 SE V2 in Decembers The Absolute Sound is a good example of how Class D has evolved. A very positive review by a first rate rag.

I have been on this ride from the beginning with Nuforces class D amp, my first NF Ref 9 of three years ago. The latest version V2 like i suspect of most class D amps mentioned above is far superior to the first versions of these super revealing amps. The truth is these amps are so revealing that if the rest of your system is not up to it you hear the weakest link and its not the amps.

What i dont understand is the wasted time on advising something to someone who like a lot of others i have encountered on this subject who just like to pick and make statements with out any merit. As for Coffeeys negativity who cares i know i dont. We are free to buy and enjoy what we like.

I dont know about other manufacturers of these super amps but in Nuforces case upgrades are offered to there customers. You are not stuck with the old and can easily move up the the newest technology. As good as that business sense is the real reason for my owning these class D amps is they take my system to levels i thought not possible with power, speed, clarity and hours upon hours of music with out fatigue.
I have owned the Gilmore Raven Stereo Class D amp and I have just traded it in for a pair of the Gilmore Raptor monoblocks. I auditioned the Raven against the Nuforce 9 SE v2 and it was far superior in my system (Supratek Chenin tube preamp, Zu Druid Speakers, Zero One Mercury CD-HD player). The Nuforces caused audible interference with my Suprateks, I could actually hear the hum from my listening position. Since others have not seemed to experience the same, all I can say is that the implementation of class D is highly dependent on the rest of your system. My system could not stomach the Nuforce's switching power supply and it's resultant RF noise, the Gilmore's linear PS was a much better match - your mileage may vary.

I have moved to the Raptors since I have recently changed my speakers to vintage Infinity RSIIb's - they need a LOT more power than the Druids!
Ait your quote

"Since others have not seemed to experience the same, all I can say is that the implementation of class D is highly dependent on the rest of your system"

This is why most manufacturers and dealers have gone to a in home audition. I tried different pre amps with my system including Nuforces P-9 and it took the tubed Audio Horizon 2.1 to create the magic sound i was looking to hear with my system.

I am happy for all who can get sound that blows there skirt up and makes there ears happy no mater what gear is used. Good for you Ait way to tell it like it is. I'm sure thats why there so many manufacturers with so much gear available thats making a living in this hobby.

Variety is the spice of life.