McCormack DNA .5 and 1- big difference?

I've got some B&K amps (ST-202 & Sonata EX-442) but a chance to pick up a McCormack DNA at a good price has arisen. Trying to pony up some spending money in case it's a wise choice.

I've lusted after the DNA 1, this model is the .5 however.

Looks like a slightly simplified board design internally, and power doesn't seem to be that reduced- advertised 100wpc/8 ohms for the .5 vs. 150wpc/8 ohms for the 1.

Looks like neither are a dual mono design- which I like in my EX-442.

Would the .5 also run cooler?

Need to power a variety of speakers- Dahlquist DQ-10s, aDs L1230s, AR 9LSIs, Vandersteen 2Cs and Thiel CS 2s.
thedelihaus
Brownsfan,

Those are the monos that I sold you. Hint - my username was something other than Shakeydeal back then.....;-}

Glad you are still liking them, they are excellent amps and extremely hard to find.

Shakey
I would guess you could get a stock DNA-1 or a DNA-0.5 Rev. A for about the same price, so unless you really need that extra power I would think the considerable sonic improvements of the Rev. A mods would far outweigh the DNA-1 power advantage. But hey, if you need the power you need the power. The nice thing is you could try a 0.5 Rev. A and if you find you need more power you can sell it with virtually no loss given the constant demand for these amps.

By the way, the DNA-0.5 really puts out more like 125wpc (as per Steve himself), it's just very conservatively rated as probably is the DNA-1. I've had other 100wpc amps in my system and the DNA-0.5 definitely sounded like a relatively bigger and more powerful amp.

Best of luck...
Shakey,

Good to hear from you. Yes, I'm still very happy with the amps. Can't beat them for the price.
I own a DNA .5 Deluxe and it is hard to fault at all, being musical and revealing yet smooth. I bought it after reading user comparisons with the DNA 1. Most stating in base form, the DNA 1 is very good but the .5 was something a bit more special, even more so if a Deluxe or Rev. upgrade. I personally wouldn't spend more on the DNA 1 unless I really needed more power vs. the .5's refinement.
The DNA .5 is the better sounding amp and it has plenty of power to handle almost anything. I have owned all of the DNAs including the .5, 1 and 2. I have a standard .5 which I think outperforms the 1.0 Deluxe.